Robotics competes to defend Chairman’s Award title

Zoe Kenealy, staff writer
Beverly’ Robotics team 1515 will be competing in the regional FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) Robotics Competition (FRC). In the previous robotics season, 1515 was honored with FRC’s Chairman’s Award and has been preparing since with hopes of receiving the Chairman’s Award for the second year in a row.
The Chairman’s Award is “the most prestigious award at FIRST,” according to USFIRST.org. “It honors the team that best represents a model for other teams to emulate and best embodies the purpose and goals of FIRST.”
According to junior robotics member Gabriella Shofet, in order to land a Chairman’s Award for the second year in a row, the team has been focusing on its strengths regarding “teamwork based on unity, uplift networking innovation teamwork and youth.”
The Chairman’s Award may be awarded to not just the team with the winning robot, but to the team that will disperse FIRST’s ideals in the community.
“This year our focus was on a multilingual and educational comic book that has been shared to robotics teams around the world, as well as our also educational TV show “Rob & Doc.” The comic book focuses on science concepts and how they’re applied to technology and how that technology helps people. Rob & Doc explains blends entertainment and engineering concepts to spark children’s interests in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics),” senior robotics member Jake  Peskin said. “Our strong student leadership during our transition phase between teachers, and Beverly Hills’ city-wide STEM initiative was also something we paid great attention to.”
For team 1515, the goal at FRC is to forward 1515 throughout the competition and better position the team to make it to the championships. In addition to the honor, placing first at championships would induct 1515 into the hall of fame.
The competition will begin on Feb. 27, and continue through until April 24, when the FIRST championships will be taking place. Upon receiving the Chairman’s Award, 1515 would automatically qualify for the nationwide championships.

View Comments (1)
$0
$1000