Student journalists from the Highlights News and Watchtower Yearbook publications attended the National High School Journalism Convention in Dallas, Texas, this past weekend. While attending the conference, students from each staff participated in informative sessions, learned from high-profile speakers and took part in engaging workshops.
Along with educational presentations, each student who attended the convention participated in a journalistic competition, whether that was in a write-off, design or photography category. There were a total of 1,581 participants in the write-offs, with only 646 winners overall. Out of these winners, only 103 were deemed superior, 201 were excellent and 342 were honorable mention winners.
Seniors Jason Harward, Sophia Goldberg and Priscilla Hopper, who competed in Online News Package, were given less than six hours to complete a multimedia package, and placed Superior. Junior Jude Binkley also earned a Superior for his work on the Law and Ethics test. The following students all earned Excellent in their respective categories:
- senior Brian Harward, News Editing and Headline Writing test
- sophomore Catherine Gagulashvili, Review Writing
- junior Mikaela Rabizadeh, Editorial Writing
- senior Jamie Kim, News Writing
The following students each earned Honorable Mention in their respective categories:
- sophomore Aniya Reynolds, Yearbook Copy/Caption: Student Life
- junior Rinesa Kabashi, Feature Writing