AcaDeca students compete, win awards 

Image: Courtesy of AcaDeca
Image: Courtesy of AcaDeca

Candice Anvari  co-editor-in-chief 

Ava Spina staff writer 

The Academic Decathlon team competed in a virtual state competition, which had a theme of “Water,”  from March 1 to March 12 and various students won in different categories. 

For the competition, the students prepared speeches, participated in interviews and wrote essays. The team members also took objective tests in science, art, music, mathematics, economics, social science and literature. Junior Alexandra Bakshian, sophomore Alexandra Schulman and junior Avery Lo won awards in the competition. 

Lo was the top finisher from Beverly Hills High School, and earned the highest score in the Division as a Scholastic Competitor. Lo also won a Bronze Medal in Art, a Silver Medal in Music, a Gold Medal in Math, a Gold Medal in Science and a Bronze Medal in Social Science. 

“I was honestly shocked to see my medals, especially since I was actually unable to attend the online award ceremony,” Lo said. “I was later surprised by the tests of my teammates and felt extremely satisfied with my work at a state level.”  

Bakshian and Schulman also won awards during the competition, as Schulman won a Bronze Medal in Science and Bakshian won a Bronze Medal in Science. 

“We spent a lot of time studying and working hard, but the work really paid off,” Bakshian said. “I’m super proud of the whole team and their hard work.”

As this season comes to a close, the team is preparing for the theme of next year’s competition: “the American Revolution and the New Nation.”