“#RichKids of Beverly Hills” is pathetically funny

Juliette Deutsch, social media director
In 2006 “Gossip Girl” was written in attempt to emulate the kids on the Upper East Side of New York City, and it was only a matter of time until a clique of Beverly Hills richest  young adults got their own reality show. “The Rich Kids of Beverly Hills” premiered Sunday, Jan.12, on E!
The show follows three privileged Beverly Hills natives: “funemployed” Dorothy Wang, blogger Morgan Stewart and interior designer Roxy Sowlaty. The show follows the the three girls` daily lives and circle of friends that are filled with excessive shopping, restaurant hopping and, of course, drama. Viewers are taken through their day to day lives where their biggest challenge is when Morgan and Dorothy are getting a daily “workout” while carrying all of their Barneys shopping bags up Rodeo Drive.
Although the show is intended to be pure entertainment, I find myself repeating the things that one of the girls, Morgan, says. Morgan`s comments about her frequent selfie taking and obsession with Instagram definitely relate to me and my peers. For example when she explains how much thoughts goes into her Instagram photos and tweets. The show also reveals the vulnerability our society has to social media; people tend to think that taking selfies will make a difference in the way people perceive us.
I am not ashamed to say that I know people similar to the ones in the show and I think that E! has done an excellent job at portraying how those types of people live. However,  the show does not accurately compare to the real kids or teenagers that live in Beverly Hills. This is the reason why E! network did not name the show “The Real Kids of Beverly Hills.” The show is not meant to stereotype real teens lives in Beverly Hills because it is clear that the personalities on the show are not teens. The show is meant to give viewers a glimpse into the lives of a small circle of the richest young adults in Beverly Hills, which it accurately does. It would not be called reality TV if it did not have some truth to it. The show, however, is completely dramaticized and I shudder when I hear the shallow things Dorothy and Morgan talk about.
While the show brought about some good laughs, watching Dorothy and Morgan party and spend their money is pathetic and cringeworthy. The show made me think about the way I talk sometimes and the things that I do such as take my Instagram reputation and profile to the extreme and tweet every moment of my life.The show makes us realize how much we take social media and our presence there so seriously. “The Rich Kids of Beverly Hills” airs every Sunday at 9 p.m. on E! network and I recommend watching it if you are in need of good laugh.

View Comments (1)
$0
$1000