Model UN competes in UC Berkeley competition

Braden Bochner, staff writer

This past weekend, Beverly’s Model United Nations club competed at the Berkeley Model United Nations Conference.

The competition, held at the University of California at Berkeley, is the largest Model UN conference on the West Coast. Hosting over 1,500 delegates from all over the world, the conference allows club members to participate in debates and interact with students from other schools.

Seven members of the club participated at the two-day advanced competition: junior Michelle Adams, freshman Hwanhee Choi, junior Cathy Lee, sophomore Richard Liu, junior Danny Park, junior Theron Herd and senior Andy Park.

The students represented various committees, such as the United States Senate (USS) and the United Nations Environmental Organization (UNEO). The USS, a mock senate, discussed the importance of creating American jobs and improving the economy, while the UNEO debated Multinational Corporations and the effects they have on the levels of pollution and waste in the environment.

Andy Park represented Kamal Nath of the Ministry of Urban Defense and was apart of the Indian Natural Disaster Crisis Committee. According to Park, he is “speculated” to have won Outstanding Delegate. Results will be released soon.

“The tension was very high trying to make instant-gratification solutions for crisis situations that occur every hour,” Park said. “Not only did we secure situations with cyclones and earthquakes, we made a group effort to make good resolutions for great results, because in a crisis committee everything we do affects the outcome.”

Adams believes that the competition went well and indicates the team’s growth throughout the past academic year.

“This has been a great year for Model United Nations,” Adams said. “We’ve expanded tremendously. We’ve competed and created a much more coherent and competitive group of delegates,”

According to Adams, the success at the competition will push the club to participate in more events.

“I know we will build off of this year’s success,” Adams said. “Next year we hope to compete in a different state competition or hopefully across the world.”