BRIEF: Madrigals, MorTorq find success

Both Madrigals and MorTorq were successful in their competitions for the weekend of April 4-6.

While at the Heritage Festival in Chicago, Ill., the Madrigal Choir received the festival’s highest rating of “Gold” for their Saturday performance. In addition, the choir has been invited to perform at the Heritage Festival of Gold next year at Carnegie Hall in New York City.

“The students not only sang splendidly, but also represented Beverly with outstanding behavior, discipline and teamwork. Special thanks our parent chaperones, Shirley Zaragosa and Franny Rennie for their leadership and helping to make our trip so successful,” choir director Ethan Smith wrote in an email to the community.

MorTorq Team 1515 (Robotics) competed in the Las Vegas Regional Competition organized by FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) and was awarded with the Regional Chairman’s Award.

“The Regional Chairman’s Award honors the team that best represents a model for other teams to emulate and best exemplify the purpose and goals of FIRST. This is the highest and most prestigious award of the whole event, and automatically grants the whole team with the opportunity to compete at FIRST National Competition in St. Louis, MI.,” co-advisor Conny Santa Cruz wrote in a release to the community.