Track team successful in league competition, advances to CIF

Amanda Christovich, cub writer
The track team’s final league competition at Culver City High School last Thursday witnessed prowess in the under class in both field events and sprints, while taking the top three spots on all levels. Boys varsity, girls frosh-soph and boys frosh-soph all took second place in their respective divisions, while girls varsity took third place in its division. The team as a whole had 12 CIF qualifications.
Sophomores Sara Neiman and Elsa Woods qualified for CIF by winning the girls varsity high jump (4-8) and the girls varsity shot-put (28-0 ½), respectively.
“Personally I thought I would do much better than I did in my 400, but I was pleasantly surprised when I was high jump champion,” Neiman said.
Woods and Neiman were not the only notable varsity girls field performers. Freshman Aliyah Woodall continued an impressive season in triple jump by winning in 38-4, and will be accompanied by junior Asia Meadows at CIF. For the second straight year, sophomore Amanda Block won the pole vault and will compete to advance her already impressive personal record and Beverly girls varsity and frosh-soph record of 11-4.
Sophomores Lucas Brito and Max Walder both qualified for CIF, as Brito won the 200m in 23.09 and Walder took third in the 400m in 51.57. The varsity boys 4x400m relay (Brito, Walder, senior Aaron Karlin and junior Dominic Perlman) qualified for CIF in 3:30.40 after a thrilling come-from-behind win. The boys varsity also demonstrated strength in the field events with senior Austin Greer, who won the shot put (46-10) for the second year in a row as well as took the discus title in 141-2.
Though varsity distance only saw one CIF qualification, distance athletes “really stepped up.”
“A lot of new [distance] athletes joined the team and they were very determined and committed to succeeding,” Brito said.
Beverly’s sole distance CIF qualifier, senior Will Ezzard, took second place in the 1600m run in 4:30:72.
Sophomore Amanda Block possesses the highest CIF ranking for Beverly, as 11-4 is ranked fourth in CIF SS Div. 3 thus far. Woodall, Meadows and Greer are all ranked in the top 25 for their respective field events. The boys 4×400 relay is ranked 21st. The top nine field events as well as the winner of each heat plus the top nine times qualify for CIF Finals, which will be held on May 17 at Estancia High School.
The competitors has been preparing for CIF with light workouts. Though the team has high hopes of achieving some surprise performances, Brito emphasized that “regardless of the results, [we] feel accomplished because of [our] determination and effort.”