Leah Shapiro breaks multiple school records

By Arman Zadeh, Staff Writer
Junior first baseman Leah Shapiro recently broke multiple school records in a single season of softball. In her first year at Beverly, Shapiro managed to make the varsity softball team, become the team’s third batter in the lineup, break two school records, become a junior captain, make First Team All Ocean League and receive the team’s Most Outstanding Player Award, all while balancing a difficult academic schedule consisting of multiple APs and other extracurricular activities.
This season, Shapiro broke the school record for most triples in a single season, with five, and most walks in a single season, with 27, breaking a record established in 1999. Shapiro’s triple record was last broken last year by three players, Morgan Harding, Annie Math and Alex Pop, who each ended with four triples.
“I was so excited to know that I would have my name on the BHHS softball record book,” Shapiro said. “I knew as soon as I hit the ball for my last triple that I wasn’t going to stop until I got to third base.”
Shapiro was also close to reaching another milestone as she batted .469 for the season, coming close to the school record of .471. Shapiro batted .476 in league.
“She was like a God-send,” head coach Leonard Mitchell said. “Not only is she an excellent softball player with skills and knowledge of the game, she is also a quiet leader. She leads more by example than vocally.”
Defensively, Shapiro lead the team in fielding percentage while simultaneously leading the team offensively in runs scored.
“She is team oriented; she does whatever is necessary for us to be successful and I’m just glad she has another year,” Mitchell said.
As the 2011- 2012 Beverly Softball season is now at a close, Shapiro has already began to plan for the team’s next season.
“I know it will be hard to improve personally considering that I achieved so much this season,” Shapiro said. “However, I still hope to further improve my hitting in order to help the team offensively.”
The team also plans on practicing more in the off-season in order to improve their play and compensate for the loss of their senior captain Lexi Silbiger.
Beverly finished the season with a record of 9-13.

View Comments (1)
$0
$1000