JFS gives back to community

Natasha Dardashti staff writer
Clubs take many different shapes and sizes, but Jewish Family Services (JFS) isn’t just any other club.
This small group unites once a month for the purpose of charity, volunteering at the food bank SOVA on Sundays in order to try to give back to the community.
“It’s nice to know that you made someone else’s day better because of your actions,” sophomore secretary Maya Luong said. “Often times students are so caught up with school and work that we don’t remember to do things that benefit the community and make us feel good too.”
One of the biggest events includes a special day for Passover, in which they sing, dance, cook, give out food and attend temple with those who cannot afford to visit parties during this Jewish holiday. The event usually has 20 to 30 underprivileged families in attendance.
“This is for families who can’t come home and just expect to have a huge Passover dinner on their table. So, this is a really big deal for them and it’s nice to be able to help out,” sophomore Lauren Hannani, president of JFS, said.
Other events take place on Thanksgiving, in which JFS members drive around the Los Angeles area and deliver food directly to families’ houses.
“Whenever I’m helping people I feel like I’m actually making a difference as opposed to doing other things. It makes an impact on our community when I am helping the less fortunate,” Vice President sophomore Samantha Boudaie said.
Through it all, JFS members truly feel like they make a difference in the community by providing service to less fortunate families.
“It is such a privilege to be able to help out these families that appreciate every single plate given to them,” Hannani said. “This experience has definitely been one of the highlights of my years here. I love every second of it.”