Students apply to art schools

Students apply to art schools

Lauren Hannani staff writer
Inspired by their love for the arts, some students already have goals to attend an art school after graduating. Although some of these seniors are still not sure yet which college they want to go to, they are determined to attend a school that encourages creativity and passion.
Senior Katie Hertz, who will be attending Pratt Institute next year, is excited to go to a college that will let her focus on subjects she is passionate about rather than forced to take for credits.
“I couldn’t imagine being stuck in another four years of a typical school setting where certain classes ultimately don’t have anything to do with the major I’d be pursuing,” Hertz said. “Since I already knew that I wanted to work in advertising, why would I want to take classes at a regular university? Art school seemed like the most direct and beneficial path for pursuing my degree.”
Senior Jane Ha is also very happy that she will be able to go to a school that centers around creativity and individuality.
“I’m looking forward to being in a school that flourishes with diversity, in culture and perspective, which are important factors to my road of intellectual perception. By attending an art school, I’ll be able to learn about things I actually think is important for me to know in the future,” Ha said. “I’ll also be in such a individualistic surrounding unlike the one I’m currently in, where everyone somewhat seems to dissolve in society’s one image. Because of this, I’ll be able to continue to strengthen my passion and skill in art and constantly be inspired.”
Ha wants to pursue a career in fashion, which is why she chose to apply to art schools. She is thinking about specifically going into fashion marketing, where she will be more involved in the business side of the industry.
“I guess there’s a lot of things in the fashion industry no one really knows or credits besides designing. I think I’ve always been pretty good at guessing the next fashion trends, and brands rely on marketing to ensure their line does well,” Ha said. “So even though I won’t be making the clothes, I’ll be a big part of what fashion really is.”
On the other hand, Hertz chose to major in visual communications design, which is the study of advertising as a way of visually communicating to the consumer. It involves typography, layout, word choice, and other elements of design that relate to a good advertisement.
“[This major] seemed like the most practical degree to get in art school,” Hertz said. “There is career stability and constant demand in that field for fresh ideas, and it also allows me to pursue something that gives creative freedom.”
Senior Emma Weaver, who is thinking about attending Pratt Institute as well with a major in philosophy, is also excited to go to school with students who share the same interest in art with her.
“The chance to be immersed in an environment with students who share the same passion and interests is such a rewarding feeling,” Weaver said. “It allows not only for the exposure to similarities with students but you learn new things as well.”
Overall, Weaver and the other seniors attending the art schools are thankful that they have the special chance to graduate high school knowing that they will immediately be able to study something they love every day.
“Many people I know dread going to work. For some adults, their career is far from what they enjoy doing,” Weaver said. “But the ability to study something that that truly interests you is incredibly valuable and beneficial. If I’m studying something for four years, it is important to me that it is something I enjoy and appreciate.”