School spirit redefines perspective on involvement

Brian Harward staff writer
He’s cheering in the stands at basketball and football games. He’s at every ASB event, hyping up the crowd, vocal chords straining to keep up.
Junior Cameron Weisfeld is spirited. And this school spirit has led him to become involved at school events, which he says has made him cherish his three year high school experience.
“I think the most rewarding part about being involved in the school is that the experience of high school is something that you only have four years to spend on, and you don’t want to waste those four years doing nothing,” Weisfeld said.
Although he now understands the value of being active at school, he didn’t begin his freshman year in any activities. He only began to get involved after his school spirit for Beverly was noticed by other ASB members in the school.
“ASB really molded me into the person that I am now. I wasn’t involved at all freshman year, but then Maytal [Sarafian] got me involved because she saw that I was going crazy during freshman year homecoming,” Weisfeld said.
According to current student body president Maia Yosef, Weisfeld’s spirit is something that is still contagious.
“Cameron is one of the most spirited, helpful and enthusiastic members in ASB,” Yosef said. “He’s always there to help with absolutely anything. He lifts the spirit of those around him and supports every group on campus.”
Weisfeld’s involvement in ASB led him to join Youth and Government. He is on the board of education in Youth in Government, and he writes up bills that the California Board of Education then reviews. He brings personal experience from the issues that affect the BHUSD to these conferences and tries to address them in the bills he writes.
“One of the things that my group worked on was looking at the permit issues at certain schools and how charter schools handle funds and transfers. I talked about our school’s situation where we lost permit kids and I feel it hurt us. I feel we shouldn’t have gotten rid of these kids. I think we should let everyone come to this school and that state funding should come in based on the number of people at the school,” Weisfeld said.
He also joined School Site Council, where he learns about administrative issues and gives his recommendations for future action. He sees his job as getting students more involved in these issues.
“I think we can affect these things by getting people more involved in the district. With reconfiguration, we’re doing that,” Weisfeld said.
Looking back on his first five semesters of high school, Weisfeld feels that his extracurriculars are how he has made the most of his time thus far.
“I think that people who aren’t involved need to understand that they only have eight semesters of high school and should be involved. You can’t relive the past, you can’t relive memories; once you’re done with the past, you’re done,” Weisfeld said.
And this involvement, Weisfeld says, is easy if you believe in your own passions and follow your interests.
“Just find your own group or club,” Weisfeld said. “And if there aren’t any that interest you, start your own, be a leader and find others with the same passions and interests as you.”