Briggs goes into depth on his past career as a musician

Nicolette Kay cub writer
Being in more bands than he can count or remember, photography teacher Tim Briggs is still able to recall the story of his first performance with big time Christian Rock group Alabama before he started his teaching career.
“We rehearsed one week and then we went to the Alabama theater in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, and that morning we went and performed on ‘Good Morning America’. We performed live for that show and that was the very first time I ever played with them,” Briggs said. A performance live on national television and I was just like, ‘Oh my God.””
Before his first performance on national television, Briggs had a big passion for music. Growing up with musical parents and siblings, he was surrounded by the music lifestyle. Influences such as The Beatles and his brother who constantly played guitar were a big part of Briggs’ juvenile love for music.
As Briggs continued his way through middle and high school, his love for music only grew. With starting up bands with friends and producing his own music, he began his music career early with the right ideas to get him and his bands to high places.
“You play anywhere you can play and you start a band. I started my first band in sixth grade and we played the talent show,” Briggs said.  “And when we got into high school we played the dances because we didn’t have DJs and stuff like that back in the day. Back then, you just had to play live music.”
Hard work at such a young age gave Briggs the opportunities to earn many accomplishments in his career.
“It was fun to see all the different cities I’ve never been to. I mean, I love that. That was the good part, the bad part was that you’re not there long enough to see much. It’s not really a sightseeing thing,” Briggs said.
Briggs did admit that through all the fun times and laughs during his touring days with Alabama, there were some cumbersome times as well.
“It wasn’t always fun, I mean it’s hard work. It’s all the good stuff you think it is but there’s a lot of hard work too. It’s demanding…you get tired after awhile, you really do,” he said. “You kind of forget where you are after all that touring.”
One deciding factor that helped Briggs in his final decision to end his touring career was family.
“I was gone all the time. You know when you do that it’s hard on your family. I had my kids [at home]…I wasn’t part of their lives,” Briggs said. “You’re wound up all the time. You’re on call all the time and even when you’re home your head is still there. It’s just not good to be that way 24/7.”
Briggs’ son, Taylor, also hopes to pursue a successful career in music like his father.
“Growing up around him writing, singing and playing instruments naturally made me want to follow in his footsteps. Truth be told, I can’t remember a time music wasn’t in my life, but I don’t wish it any other way,” Taylor said.
With Taylor heading off to Berklee College of Music, Mr. Briggs considers it one of his duties to give him advice about the music industry.
“I want to help him and make sure he doesn’t make a lot of the mistakes I did,” Briggs said. “That’s one of the main reasons I decided to stay back like I did.”
Despite leaving behind his musical pursuits and aspirations, Briggs looks back fondly on his memories in Alabama.
“Oh, I’m really glad I had the experience, it was great, it was,” he said. “I wouldn’t trade it for anything.”

View Comments (1)
$0
$1000