BREAKING: School is closed due to coronavirus concerns until April 6

Coronavirus: Public domain image

Emma Newman staff writer 
As COVID-19 concerns continue to spread, BHUSD will shut down all of its facilities starting March 13, which will continue until April 5. 
According to an email sent out by Dr. Michael Bregy, although there are no known cases of the coronavirus within the district, the schools will shut down as a preventative and cautionary measure. During this time period, the district will do a “thorough cleaning” of the schools.
Classes will still be in session, however, and students will need to use textbooks and laptops. The district is also making new plans to prepare for the virus.
“BHUSD is deploying plans to ensure our community is both prepared for the likelihood of long-term disruption and is protected from the virus,” Bregy said in the email.
While the curriculum has not been determined exactly, home learning will allow students to participate in all of their classes. Teachers will participate in a collaboration for online-training on March 23. On March 24, students will get notifications about their expectations for the week.
Bregy wants to make sure that every student and employee is coronavirus-free, but he understands that this may be an inconvenience to some.
“I know these decisions will introduce some difficulties to many families,” Bregy said. “[T]he purpose of this decision is to fulfill our responsibility to our broader community by taking every possible step to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.”