Construction proceeds on BHUSD campuses, MTA despite COVID-19

MTA construction on Wilshire and Canon proceeds.

Ava Seccuro co-editor-in-chief

Construction on the BHHS and El Rodeo campuses is still proceeding despite the closure of all BHUSD facilities for the remainder of the school year.
As stated in a previous interview from Executive Bond Program Manager Jeff Plyman, the B1 and B2 Modernization project is progressing well and should be complete by spring 2021, and the Oil Well Plugging Project is projected to finish by this summer.
As the Maintenance and Operations Department continues to plan and finalize many more smaller projects, Pylman says that this summer will be a “very busy” time for them, just as last summer was.
The Facilities and Construction Department issued their latest update on March 23. It includes pictures and descriptions of progression on the B1, B2, B3, B4, oil well and El Rodeo projects.

Above is a map of the buildings on the BHHS campus that are under construction.

Regarding the B1/B2 Modernization, construction workers are nearly finished with drywall and window installation, and are installing insulation, plywood sheeting, structural steel and metal stud framing to the walls. They are rebarring, refoaming and recementing the lower and upper arcades, a succession of contiguous arches, connecting the floors of the B1 building. With strictly B2, workers are currently building a structural steel ledger and a pan deck for a new ramp as well as proceeding with brick and mortar restoration on the exterior walls.
For the B3/B4 project, they’re continuing demolition and flooring abatement, especially in the Salter Theater, restoring the structural concrete, removing and replacing the stairwells and shoring the exterior of the building.
With the Oil Well Plugging Project, which is the project closest to completion, the well heads are to be cemented inside the well shortly.
El Rodeo has also undergone construction as workers have already established a material staging area, are framing the walls and the stairs, footing demolition and scaffolding the auditorium.
BHUSD is not the only entity that has continued construction: the MTA Purple Line is also continuing construction. 
Above are the bus routes that are impacted by MTA Purple Line construction.

Starting near Hancock Park and ending at La Cienega Blvd., section one work “will be conducted from the Wilshire Blvd./Gale Dr. closure, and from the Gale Yard. Anticipated work hours are 4 a.m. to 6 p.m.,” according to the MTA website. Moreover, “Intermittent lane reductions, turn restrictions and sidewalk closures may be in place to support instrumentation work, road and utility maintenance at Wilshire Blvd./La Cienega Blvd. and Wilshire Blvd./Stanley Ave,” the website stated.
In section two of construction, which starts on La Cienega and ends on Constellation Boulevard, “The Beverly Hills City Council has approved a full closure of Wilshire Blvd. between Beverly Dr. and Crescent Dr. to help expedite the construction of the Wilshire/Rodeo Station during the statewide pandemic health restrictions,” the website stated. “Metro and the contractor anticipate that this closure could be in place from 1-3 months; however, upon request of the City, the contractor will restore the street to the current configuration.
Stay tuned for more updates as construction progresses.