Boys lacrosse season preview

Boys lacrosse varsity practice.

Juliette Deutsch, cub writer

As spring sports begin, the varsity and JV boys lacrosse teams prepare for their upcoming season. This year, JV players are focusing on learning the fundamentals of the game while varsity players get accustomed to practicing without last year’s seniors. Both teams’ practices are geared towards getting in shape and preparing for the season.
The varsity team is well into its practices and is preparing rigorously for its upcoming season. One of the challenges that varsity faces in its early pre-season practices this year is its ability to continue to have a successful season without the seniors from last year.
“We had lots of time to prepare in the off season and we have to step up our skills and practice hard to take the place of the good seniors from last year,” junior varsity player Morgan Henderson said.
Henderson emphasized that he and his teammates need to brush up on their fundamentals and need to be solid in those basic areas in order to be successful this season.

“Practicing, continuing to work hard and focusing on the improvement of the most basic and fundamental skills in our pre-season practices are the ways our team will be successful enough to win games,” Henderson said.
Lacrosse, although wildly popular, is still fairly new on the west coast and is slowly gaining recognition.
“Lacrosse is a really intense sport, and it takes a lot of practice and skill. It is really enjoyable and gets you into shape,” Henderson said.
Boys JV practices for the spring season
In addition to varsity preparing for its season, the JV team has also begun its practices. Freshman Amanuel Behailu who their biggest competition is this season.
“Palos Verdes is definitely our biggest rival. They have a very strong team and that will definitely be our biggest challenge this season,” Behailu says
JV must improve on their running, endurance and contact in the early pre-season practices.
“Our biggest challenge is timing out our passes and our contact, if we can improve upon these skills before the season starts, I think we will be in good shape. Also, running is a weakness point in our practices.” Behailu explained.
Additionally, since lacrosse is a sport that embodies lots of running, JV finds another weakness point in their practices to be their endurance while they are scrimmaging and performing various drills.
JV also took in a total of ten new players for this season. They are mostly sophomores and a few freshmen, which makes a balanced age range.
The boys lacrosse season games start in early March and both teams plan on having a very successful season and will continue to improve upon their weaknesses in practice in order to beat their toughest rivals this year.
The boys lacrosse roster and statistics can be found on their Maxpreps page.