Boys lacrosse looks to bounce back from slow start to season

By Arman Zadeh, sports editor
The lacrosse team has started the 2013 season in a slump, beginning the year with an overall record of 1-3. The team was defeated twice on the road against non-league rivals Brentwood and Harvard-Westlake.
The team lost its first game of the season to Harvard-Westlake last week by a score of 10-7. Midfielder Nick Heller led Beverly offensively with three goals, as well as picking up a team high six ground balls with two take aways and an interception. Midfielder Sam Edward also produced offensively with two goals, along with attackman Yaniv Sadka with one goal. Goalie Michael Suh led the team defensively with 11 saves.
Looking to move on from their 0-1 record, the Normans met in Brentwood hoping for their first win of the season. The team was defeated, though, 6-3, in a relatively low scoring match. Heller scored one point off a team high ten shots on goal. Midfielder Rod Shayan also scored one point. Suh contributed with a season high 16 saves.
“We just need to work on working the ball around in offense and maintaining possession while we have the ball. We need to slow it down and throw off the other teams defense instead of making individual cuts to goal,” defensemen Hans Tercek said.
Moving on from the loss, the team hosted their first home game of the season against Loyola on March 7. Despite leading 3-1 going into halftime, the team was defeated, 6-4.
Sadka attributed the loss to the team’s lack of awareness and alertness coming out of halftime.
“We came out weak as if the game was over at halftime. Lacrosse is a game of scoring runs and momentum, both of which Loyola captured in the second half,” Sadka said.
Heller scored two goals to go along with one assist. Edwards and attackman Morgan Henderson each scored one goal. Heller also picked up a team high five ground balls throughout the match. Suh contributed with 11 saves.
The team won their first game of the season on Friday, March 8, away at Chaminade. Despite going scoreless in the final quarter, the team outlasted Chaminade 10-5.
Heller once again led the team’s offense with three goals and three assists. Edwards scored three goals, as well. Henderson contributed with two goals. Sadka and defensemen Legend Waters each added another goal for Beverly.
Starting the season 1-3 has forced the team to reevaluate how they execute their play. Sadka believes that the team’s latest lack of chemistry and ball movement is a key factor to their recent snafu.
“With so many new guys on the varsity squad, it is difficult to get everyone working together,” Sadka said. “Additionally, on offense we need to slow the game down by possessing the ball. By controlling the ball for longer periods of time, our offense can create higher percentage scoring opportunities, control the pace of the game, give the defense a rest, and keep the opposition from putting the ball in the back of our net.”
The Normans now prepare for two difficult matchups against Oak Park on Wednesday, followed by their first league game against Mira Costa on Friday. The team will be treating each game with a “win now” attitude, knowing that they need to win each chance they are given if they hope to succeed.