When to know community college is the best fit

Jessica Saadian, staff writer

Students aren’t expected to know their whole life ahead of them in high school, but if they are still undecided of their major by their senior year, it might be best to go to community college than a fancy four-year university. That way, students can save money and will be able to have more time to explore what they are passionate about.

Affordability is often one of the most important factors student face when going off to college. Students who are undecided of their major and plan on attending a university may not be worth it because students would be spending almost triple the amount of money than a community college. The majority of students attending four-year colleges in America have not mapped out a career path, it might be best to discover their passion at a school that costs less.

According to American Student Assistance, as of 2012, the average debt for all bachelor’s degree recipients was $7,960 at public four-year universities and $17,040 at private universities.

“College is a big step, not only are students required to adjust to the academic demands of college coursework, but they must also adapt to living away from home and being on their own,” college counselor Jill Lewis said.

Going off to college and living in dorms can be a great experience because students finally have their first real breath of freedom away from home. However, moving away and living on your own is a sink or swim type of survival.

Even though community college can help students mentally prepare them for the real world, it is not the time for students to be making careless mistakes because every grade in a class counts.

“Now, [students who are enrolled in a community college are] taking students three and four years to transfer because they are unable to get their courses,” Lewis said. “This can also have financial implications which not all students think about.”

If students have been holding their parents’ hands up until college and want to be more independent, then moving away would be a good choice.

However, if students despise the thought of cooking their own meals, doing their own laundry and getting a part time job to help pay for their essential needs, it’s best to go to a community college to ensure that students will have a smooth transition from high school to college.

There are smaller classes to help get closer with professors. Even if a student gets into his or her dream school, he or she must think realistically to decide if this dream college is worth the tuition.