Clinton’s acceptance speech for the Warren Christopher Award

Jessica Saadian, staff writer

The Pacific Council on International Policy, a nonprofit international affairs organization, held its chairman’s gala event to honor former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on her acceptance of the Christopher Warren Public Service Award at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel on May 8.

Warren Christopher was known to be a distinctive American who helped to change the course of history. He expanded the middle class and strengthened the powers of Asia. Christopher also worked for Bill Clinton from 1993-1996 and was awarded the Medal of Freedom for his role in negotiating the release of 52 American hostages held in Iran for 444 days.

Characteristics of a person that would lead as a recipient of the Christopher Award are “commitment to international affairs, to the highest ethical standards, to promotion of the common good, to equality and fairness, and to government service as a noble pursuit,” according to the Pacific Council.

Although Clinton did not mention politics in her speech, she hopes to strengthen ties with partner countries and work for peace.

“Our goal is Chris’ goal. That we work together to develop a rules based order that can deliver peace and prosperity in a rapidly changing region. That we continue to expand and develop a mature architecture of strong alliances and effective institutions based on universal norms,” Clinton said at the gala event.

The media reporting the event  was excited to hear Clinton’s speech as well. No one bothered to hear listen carefully to the Dr. Jerrold Green’s welcoming speech, but as soon as Clinton went up to the stage, there were no longer sounds of utensils going across the plates or side conversations.

As a high school journalist, covering this huge event was definitely overwhelming. Not many people have the opportunity to meet some of the most prestigious corporations, such as CBS and KTLA, to listen to their perspective of journalism and having the honor of listening to Clinton’s speech.