Senior adds unique perspective through style, rap

Pasha Farmanara, co-web editor-in-chief

Photos by PASHA FARMANARA
Back from Chicago for his senior year, senior Keimon Downey produces rap music.

Known for his original, new-age rap, senior Keimon Downey is working on turning his passions for music and fashion into possible careers.
Downey, also known by his rapper name Kane Grocerys, is known for making songs that carry a shadowy tone that cannot be found in today’s popular music.
“I’m still trying to find my sound, but my music is dark and spiritual. It’s just a new sound I’m trying to create. I’m not trying to be like anybody else, just on my own,” Downey said.
Even though he tries to be an individual, Downey has many inspirations.
“I listen to a lot of ‘90s music, from West Coast to East Coast. I also listen to music from our generation, a couple artists that are up and coming,” Downey said. “Specifically, I listen to Master P, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Three-6-Mafia, Ice Cube, Wu Tang Klan, artists like that.”
After his sophomore year Downey left Beverly to move back to his hometown of Chicago, only to move back to Beverly for his senior year.
“I went to Chicago to play basketball, but things didn’t work out too well so there was no point for me to stay there,” Downey said. “It was just cool to see my friends ’cause when I went to Chicago I had to make a lot of new friends. Coming back and seeing my old friends was cool.”
Downey’s music has caught one student’s eye as something brand new and definitely worth listening to.
“Keimon’s music is one of a kind. I like listening to it so experience something different. He is a pioneer of his own style,” senior Brian Aminpour said.
Although Downey’s aspiration to play basketball in Chicago did not go as planned, the move to Chicago had a musical impact on him.
“With music, Chicago just opened me up a little bit more because I was in my hometown. Just writing and seeing a different side as opposed to where I was living in Beverly Hills,” Downey said. “Just going back there and seeing how people don’t have much makes you think a lot, and it’s just cool to see the environment people live in and see how fortunate you are.”
Going forward, Downey is hoping to make his music career better known through a variety of outlets.
“I’m trying to make a lot of moves, by doing shows, putting out projects, getting myself out there on the internet, in my hometown Chicago and in Los Angeles,” Downey said.
Music is not Downey’s only aspiration. He is also coming out with his own clothing line, Original Gods.
“It will probably start in summer 2013. For now I’m just going to be a personal brand,” Downey said. “I want to see how it goes. If people like it then maybe I will start selling. For now I just want to put it out there.”
Downey’s unorthodox outfits and show-stopping accessories have caught the eyes of many across campus.
“I’m my own person. I don’t try to be like anyone: I’m different. I’ll just put on some short shorts and walk outside and have people look at me, but who cares what people think — I got to be different,” Downey said. “One person who influences me a lot is Theophilus London. I look up to him as a role model.”
Students enjoy seeing what outfits Downey wears every day.
“Keimon is a trend setter,” senior Michael Suh said. “He is very independent in his clothing style. He wears something new every day and it’s fun to see. For example, he changes his hairstyle or wears a unique hat. No one else can pull that off.”
After high school Downey hopes to continue studying, and also to pursue both music and fashion.
“Hopefully I’ll be accepted to [Laboratory Institute of Merchandising] and go to New York or to a junior college,” Downey said. “I’m just going to be working really hard on my music and starting my line soon.”