New Netflix show ‘Ginny and Georgia’ does not disappoint

Image labeled for reuse by Flickr.

Candice Anvari staff writer

Sprinkles Cupcakes has a vegan red velvet cupcake that you wouldn’t expect to taste extraordinary because it looks like a regular cupcake. But this cupcake is different. It’s not just the vegan coconut frosting that makes it great. It’s the warm, rich cupcake itself that makes this delightful dessert so amazing. “Ginny and Georgia” is like that cupcake. From a distance, it looks like every other coming-of-age TV show, but it is so much more. From the realistic mother-and-daughter dynamic to the thrilling adventures, “Ginny and Georgia” does not disappoint, making a second season absolutely necessary. 

“Ginny and Georgia” is a Netflix show that follows Ginny Miller, played by Antonia Gentry, and her mother Georgia Miller, played by Brianne Howey, as they embark on the next chapter of their lives in a tiny town in Massachusetts after the sudden death of Ginny’s stepfather. Upon their arrival, Ginny makes new friends and finds out secrets about her mother’s past that come back to bite them. 

Throughout the first episode, there is an obvious comparison to “Gilmore Girls,” as both shows examine single-mother protagonists who raise their teenage daughters alone, but it becomes clear that the comparison stops there. Gentry and Howey have an effortless on-screen mother-daughter chemistry that could be picked up on right from the beginning. Although Ginny can be annoying at times, Georgia balances her out by adding both humor and charm to Ginny’s angst and moodiness. The mysteriousness surrounding each character adds an incredible amount of depth to the storyline. In every episode, the show flashed back to Georgia’s teenage years to show the backstory behind this dark, protective mother. The flashbacks were by far a vital addition because with every shocking revelation about both Georgia’s past and Ginny’s present, more jaw-dropping twists and turns surfaced.  

In terms of romance, “Ginny and Georgia” did not fall short. Ginny’s love interest Marcus Baker, played by Felix Mallard, was everything a girl could want in a guy. Initially, he comes off as an unloving jerk, but he has a fantastic character arc within the first two episodes. Marcus’s character is heartbreaking, hilarious and charming. He is the perfect package. Also, his dynamic with Ginny makes her a more interesting character. However, the show also presents Ginny with Hunter Chen, her other love interest played by Mason Temple. Despite his kindness, he was one of the most annoying characters. The way in which Netflix portrayed him was a disservice to his character because the writers did not exhibit typical teenage behavior. Instead, Hunter acted like a 10-year-old who’s impersonating a teenager, which made his scenes with Ginny all the more frustrating. 

What separated “Ginny and Georgia” from all the other coming-of-age shows was the exhilarating adrenaline rush that resulted from all the unexpected plot twists. Also, the show’s music soundtrack was phenomenal and added another level to almost every scene. The music perfectly reflected the mood of each scene and it made the show more dramatic, emotional and thrilling to watch. 

“Ginny and Georgia” is a must see show that shouldn’t be judged for being in the same category with other basic coming-of-age shows. This show is more than just the coconut frosting. It is the whole Sprinkles cupcake. Word on season two has not been announced and Netflix has not renewed the show as of yet. 

Highlights gives “Ginny and Georgia” a  4.5/5