Varsity softball falls to Wiseburn-Da Vinci Wolves in first game of season

Pitcher senior Reina Paysinger prepares to pitch to the Wolves batter during the third inning.

Candice Anvari staff writer 

The varsity softball team started their season off with a loss to the Wiseburn-Da Vinci Wolves (1-0) on Wednesday, losing 6-14. 

The calm of the day was invigorated by the competitive, determined energy the Normans emitted in their attempt to defeat the Wolves. As pitcher senior Reina Paysinger stepped up to the plate, both the crowd of parents and her teammates cheered her name to show their support. Once Paysinger pitched, she was merciless. Her unstoppable fast balls deterred the Wolves’ batters during the first two innings. However, the Wolves were able to make a comeback and surpass the Normans’ total by 8 runs.  

Despite the vigorous competition the Wolves put up, the Normans did not squander their energy throughout the game’s duration. 

“I think we did a great job pushing each other to keep going and cheering for each other even when our outcome didn’t look the best toward the end of the game,” first basemen junior Sawyer Grijalva said. 

As the freshmen players on the team stepped up to the base, the upperclassmen chanted “let’s go freshmen” to help alleviate the nerves of the new players. For many freshmen on the team, Wednesday’s game was their first time playing a sport at the high school. 

Left field junior Ella Cox believes the game went well, but she hopes that the Normans can improve on working as a team in future games. 

“I think we just need to get better as a team,” Cox said. “Most of our team is playing a new position this season, so I think that it makes sense that we aren’t totally perfect at this point of the season. 

Although the Normans made a “good effort” against the Wolves, head coach Vonzie Paysinger believes that the team needs to have a “readjustment period” after a year in quarantine. 

“Coming back to sports, obviously, feels new to everyone after being home for so long, so I think that we really just have to get used to playing again and work better as a team in preparation for our next game,” Paysinger said. 

The team’s next game is at home on Tuesday, April 20 at 3 p.m. against the Lawndale Cardinals (0-0).