Beverly placed on lockdown

Shayda Dadvand

Sophomores Jurnee Burrell-Williams and Bao Dang take cover during the lockdown (staged). “We both kind of didn’t know [what to think],” Dang said. “They usually send drill messages before.”

Shayda Dadvand, Editor in Cheif

WEDSNESDAY FEB 15–During third period, from 11:11 a.m. to 11:37 a.m., the alarm sounded and students were placed on lockdown protocol. The situation ended up being a false alarm. 

Superintendent Dr. Michael Bregy sent a community message explaining the miscommunication. 

BHPD received what is known as a ‘Swatting’ call or False Report of an emergency at BHHS,” he wrote. “There is NO EVIDENCE of any emergency.”

While students and staff reacted quickly and safely to the lockdown message, with recent school shootings—such as the MSU shooting—the situation triggered a shock.

“I felt scared because I didn’t know what was going on,” sophomore Jurnee Burrell-Williams said. “I didn’t think it was a drill.”

Dr. Bregy wrote in his message, “Everyone is safe. The school day is proceeding as normal.” 

We thank the quick actions of the BHPD and BHUSD safety team.