Q&A with Mary Banks

Shayda Dadvand
Senior navigates her way through New York University via Naviance.

Mary Banks is a former Director of Admissions at the Columbia School of Nursing and former Director of Admissions for the School of Education, Nursing, and the Arts at NYU.

Through Quad Education — a leading college admissions consulting company— I had the pleasure of interviewing Banks on common questions about the application and admissions processes. 

Q: What is the most common worry students have about the admissions process?

A: “Am I going to get in where I want to go?” There’s a million different reasons we succeed or fail to get into our top choice. But it doesn’t matter because the other schools are there waiting for us and one, two, three of them will be a fit. 

Q: How can I connect with schools?

A: My advice is to pick at least five to eight of the schools you know something about, and engage with their admissions — virtually, because of where you live, but I think you do need to make school visits if you possibly can. 

You have to really do your research for [universities containing separate schools] to decide what you want to specialize in. It takes a little bit of work, but it’s fun. That’s what I try to emphasize with the students with whom I work, is that it is fun. It is a lot of work in addition to everything else you have to do, but you can make it a learning experience. 

Q: Should I apply mostly in-state or out-of-state?

A: Sometimes I think young people neglect the schools right around them, because they want to leave their home state. When in fact, if you were to go to UCLA, I think you would find that you would mentally be as far away from home than you would be anywhere. So, it’s something to consider. The schools in your neighborhood are not to be dismissed. 

Q: What are schools looking for in an applicant?

A: Most schools do want young people who see all the things that are happening and want to change the world and have a profound effect on it, and are looking at courses and programs that are going to make them change agents.

Whenever I’m looking at an applicant, I like to look with my colleagues/team at everything. If they are a D+ student and they’re applying to Columbia, it’s probably not going to work for them. The programs at Columbia would not be good for a student who has no academic strengths or interest. There are a few things that will make the admissions committee dismiss an application to begin with. Everyone can’t be first. There’s a million ways to differentiate yourself as an applicant. I learn about the authentic part of a student by reading their essays — whether it’s the Common App or the specific extra questions a lot of the more competitive schools include. 

Q: How do I convince the admissions committee I’m unique?

A: No schools that I know of wants everybody to look the same, to have the same background or religion or any of those things. So, what is unique? This comes in many, many forms. You have to really dig deep in yourself to find out what makes you unique. 

Q: What should applicants avoid?

A: I think they should avoid using Artificial Intelligence to write their essays. I know some will probably use AI in some form or another, which is fine as a research tool, but I think you have to do your own work. That’s never changed. I think you have to avoid inflating your experiences on your resume. You have to be authentic. 

Another thing, I had a student who had perfect ACT scores, and she wanted to spend time talking to me because all she’d heard about was how great her classmates were doing. And it began to work on her to the point where she began doubting her attributes. So, don’t allow yourself to engage in comparing yourself to your friends. 

And don’t let your eager mom or dad put any extra stress on you. I think that’s why it’s best that you work with an individual who has no dog in the fight, so to speak. You have to be able to tell [your parent(s)] that this is your application.