Fall favorites

Braden Bochner and Juliette Deutsch, staff writers

Fall has finally arrived in Los Angeles. As the Santa Ana winds bring a crispness to the air, pumpkin patches sprout throughout the city and leaves begin to fall. To celebrate sweater weather, we’ve picked our favorite seasonal treats to keep you satisfied throughout all of fall.

Seasonal juices at Pressed Juicery

430 N. Bedford Drive (seasonal juices range from $6.50-$8)

Known for its unique and delicious blends of fresh fruits and vegetables, Pressed Juicery has created a seasonal menu to satisfy holiday cravings without the guilt. Pressed Juicery has taken its fan favorite Almond Milk and spruced it up for the holiday season. The Spiced Almond Milk is a blend of seasonal spices such as cinnamon (known to help stabilize blood-sugar), cardamom (digestive-friendly) and nutmeg (brain-stimulating). As an ode to Thanksgiving, Pressed Juicery has introduced the Apple Cinnamon Persimmon juice, which is filled with vitamin C, vitamin B and is a great source of antioxidants.

Fall cupcakes at Sprinkles Cupcakes

9635 Santa Monica Blvd ($3.50 each, $39 for a dozen)

Each holiday season, Sprinkles rolls out a menu filled with festive cupcake flavors. The October menu includes the Orange Cranberry cupcake with a white chocolate cream cheese frosting, as well as the Caramel Apple cupcake covered in a buttery caramel ganache.

Pumpkin Cheesecake “Crullant” at Semi-Sweet Bakery

105 E. 6th Street ($4.50 each)

Located in Downtown Los Angeles, Semi-Sweet Bakery gained popularity this summer with its take on the “Cronut” made famous by Dominique Ansel. Semi-Sweet pastry chef Sharlena Fong whipped up her own version of the tasty treat, naming it the “Crullant”. The “Crullant”, a cross between a doughnut and croissant, is baked and layered with a custard filling. Each Crullant is then bruléed with caramelized sugar. For the fall, Fong has introduced a Pumpkin Cheesecake variation of the puff pastry treat, filled with a light pumpkin mousse.

Apple custard crumb pie at Gjelina

1429 Abbot Kinney Blvd ($8 a slice)

Gjelina in Venice, notoriously known for its strict no-substitutions policy, happens to offer a dessert menu brimming with seasonal confections. Pastry chef Nicole Mournian’s take on apple pie cleverly uses dried apples instead of fresh apples, and is spiced with cardamom instead of cinnamon. The crumb crust serves as the perfect bed for the dried apple filling. The recipe won the KCRW annual Good Food Pie Contest in 2012.

Fallcollage