Service group continues its annual drive

As seen in the Nov. 26 issue
Dani Klemes, web editor-in-chief
Continuing its streak of annual food drives, Service Learning hosted this year’s Thanksgiving drive over the span of two weeks: from Nov. 12 to Nov. 21. The group collected non-perishable canned food items excluding soda cans and cereal boxes to donate to the People Assisting the Homeless (PATH) organization. Service Learning raised 1500 cans in last year’s drive, and on Friday afternoon, members were able to collect 2167 cans for this year’s drive.
As it has in past years, Service Learning awarded the class with the most donations a Sprinkles cupcake party. This year, Jamie Marrs’s class collected the most cans, contributing 467 cans to the drive.
“Sprinkles was generous enough to donate a box of cupcakes to the class who brought the most cans,” Service Learning advisor Michelle Halimi said. “In addition to cupcakes, we gave the winning teacher a new set of Expo markers.”
Each Tuesday and Thursday of the food drive, members from Service Learning went to sixth period classes to collect cans for PATH, an organization with which Service Learning has developed a strong relationship.
“We always donate to PATH,” Halimi said.
“We always donate to PATH,” Halimi said. “Half of my Service Learning class volunteers, along with the girls basketball team, to cook a meal at PATH before Thanksgiving. This is our second year [cooking meals at PATH].”
Service Learning member senior Tori Hertz believes that the drive is a great way to embrace the spirit of Thanksgiving.
“This food drive is really going toward a great cause,” Hertz said. “Out of all the things Service Learning does, this is one of the most important drives. Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful and give back so I’m glad I get to help those in need.”
According to Service Learning member junior Daniela Shirazi, donating to PATH is a very fulfilling experience.
“The shelter really appreciates all we do for them,” Shirazi said.
As opposed to other Service Learning drives, the food drive, according to Halimi, allows students the chance to participate in more interactive, gratifying charity.
“With all the drives we do, we raise a lot of money,” Halimi said. “Actually giving to the homeless shelter gives students the opportunity to give back in a different way.”
With the conclusion of the Thanksgiving food drive, Service Learning is currently planning its annual Albion Street event which will take place on Dec. 6.