Cross country participates in CIF prelims

Juliette Deutsch, staff writer

The cross-country team competed in the CIF prelims at Mt. Sac Antonio College  on Saturday, Nov.16. The CIF prelim was the final meet of the season for both girls and boys varsity cross country.

The boys varsity team took ninth place out of the 16 teams that qualified for prelims. Beverly’s top placing runner all season long senior Aaron Wolfe, who took 15th place as an individual runner with a time of 16:00, which places him sixth of all time for Beverly on the Mt. SAC course. Senior Aaron Karlin was in 46th place with a time of 16:47. Karlin is on Beverly’s all-time list with a best time of 16:22.  Senior Will Ezzard, took 61st place with a time of 17:13.  Senior Michael Redston took 72nd place with a time of 17:35. Finally, Noah Lee took 78th place with a time of 17:45, David Neiman in 88th place in a time of 18:06 and Bardia Soltani in 99th place with a time of 18:31.

On the other hand, the girls varsity team for the first time had a wide age range between runners.The team had three sophomores and four freshmen and was the youngest varsity team competing in CIF Southern Section races. As a team, they took last place out of 16 teams. Freshman Jillian Dveirin ran the best race of her season, running over a minute faster than her Mt. SAC Invite race time of a record-breaking 22:10. Dveirin came in 68th place, making the Beverly all-time list for the Mt. SAC course. Sophomore Leah Wolchin took 98th place with a time of 22:37, sophomore Aerin Kim took 101st place with a time of 23:03 and freshman Sophia Miller came in 103rd place with a time of 23:21. Freshman Alexis Sedacca came in 107th place with a time of 23:35, sophomore Nastazia Moshirfatemi came in 108th place with a time of 24:11 and freshman Jane Ha came in 112th place with a time of 24:27.

Cross-country`s banquet took place on Thursday, Nov. 21.