Inspired by opera, Molloy pursues dreams

As seen in the Dec. 16 print edition
Eunice Kim, staff writer
Ever since sophomore Myra Molloy was a child, she would watch Disney movies and Broadway shows and hold mock performances with her sister. She dreamed of one day becoming a famous singer and actress; however, never did she imagine that years later she would be the winner of Thailand’s hit television show, “Thailand’s Got Talent.”
Molloy was born in Bangkok, Thailand, and moved to New York City when she was four, and eventually returned to Bangkok. At the age of eight, she witnessed a live performance of “Phantom of the Opera,” which influenced her life-changing decision.
“[The opera] took my breath away. I loved the show and the music so much,” Molloy said.
At 13, she entered the 2011 season of “Thailand’s Got Talent,” singing “Think of Me” from the influential opera she had watched five years prior. Additionally, she sang a Thai pop song, “Star,” by Grand X and Sarah Brightman’s version of “Time to Say Goodbye.”
“I never thought I was going to win at all,” Molloy said. “The other contestants were very talented and intimidating and they were older, so I thought I didn’t stand a chance because I was just one person. Especially against a team of dancers.”
When Molloy won, she was “excited, happy, surprised and honored.”
A few years after the competition, Molloy decided to move to the United States with her family to pursue her dreams of becoming a singer and experience a life as a high school student in Los Angeles. By living in America, Molloy has been able to obtain help with her career networking, and with reaching out to potential managers and agents.
“[Networking] is a process and I’m in a good place now and I’m thankful for everything [that contributed to my success],” Molloy said.
Molloy hopes to be cast in well-known movies and have one of her records reach the top of the charts. She believes that with her “awesome” coaches and mentors, she can rise to the top and see her name among others whom she grew up admiring.