Impending drought raises concern

Dani Klemes, web editor-in-chief

Though most Southern Californians are accustomed to “L.A. winters”—months reputable for their 70 degree weather and seemingly non-existent precipitation—residents faced a record driest year in 2013, according to statistics from the National Weather Service.

True, California receives the majority of its rainfall between January and April, but the threat of a drought is still prevalent. In legal terms, a drought signifies that the governor may suspend some state and federal regulations and expedite water transfers in order to maximize water resources across the state.

After a press conference at Fresno City Hall on Monday, Jan. 13, in which California Gov. Jerry Brown discussed protocol with local farmers, agricultural leaders and water district officials, Brown claimed that his administration would soon declare an official drought for certain parts of California.

County administrators are currently analyzing the circumstances of the drought, proposing possible solutions to deal with both long-term and short-term effects for California in its parched state.

The thought of a drought may not evoke any worry in most residents—after all, California is essentially facing perpetual dehydration—but in the grand scheme of things, water is vital, the drought is imminent, and residents should follow certain measures to preserve all they can.

Below is an infographic that provides some general ideas for saving water, most of which only require small tweaks to everyday habits and activities. In the next few weeks, Highlights will be posting updates on the drought and its effects on Californians.

Cartoons by Sasha Park