United For A Cause Soccer Fundraiser promotes humanitarianism

Audrey James-Anenih, staff writer

Beverly’s soccer program hosted the fifth annual United For a Cause fundraiser on Saturday, Jan. 11. Differing levels of Marlborough’s and Windward’s soccer teams participated in the tournament, which donated its proceeds to The Concern Foundation, The National Multiple Sclerosis Society and United in Harmony. The fundraiser provided several food options, including ex-Beverly chef Darrell Smith’s truck, “Slide Show,” as well as Culinary Arts desserts and Coffee Bean hot chocolate. Also present was a silent auction, which offered prizes such as Clipper tickets and dinners at luxury hotels.

To begin, Beverly Vista’s girls middle school team played against Marlborough’s middle schoolers, topping Marlborough 2-1.

Beverly’s girls JV team lost to Marlborough 2-1, with Beverly managing to score their single goal in the final minutes of the game. Freshman Maytal Sarafian, who normally serves as the team’s goalie, was thrown in the offensive attack and, seconds after entering the game as a forward, Sarafian booted the ball into the back of the net.

Sophomore Nicole Yuan was glad to “be able to support such a cause that affects so many people.”

“I knew that trying as hard as I could on the field was the right thing to do and I can speak for the entire soccer department when I say we all gave it our all to support the cause,” Yuan said.

The girls varsity team fell to Marlborough, 2-0, but the game was highlighted by the goalie play of junior Amanda Manaster.

After an AYSO game, Beverly’s boys varsity squared off against Windward. The first half saw many promising attacks by Beverly fall short, as the ball could not be forced into the net. The second half was a different story, as the Normans came out with two quick goals (both occurred within five minutes of each other) by seniors Ignacio Gonzalez and Guy Mazar.

Senior game-commentator Brandon Davis thought of Mazar’s shot as having been “kissed by the gods,” while his co-commentator, junior Mason Leib, described Gonzalez’s goal as being “so fast that if you blinked, you missed it.”

After a Windward strike, junior goalie Eduardo Ochoa, put in to take the place of starting goalie Milton Joyner in the second half, was able to hold off any other attacks. The Normans were victorious, 2-1, against Windward.

The busy day of soccer lasted almost 11 hours, but the cause was well worth the time.