Student Internship program aims to provide experience

Ben Dahan staff writer
School is not only a place for students to further their knowledge in academics, but also to learn real life skills and prepare for their futures. One important part of this process is getting an internship or a job.
That’s where Cindy Dubin, the coordinator of Career Technical Education, plays an important role, as she provides students with internship and job openings and encourages them to pursue such opportunities.
“It’s an incredible part of your education,” Dubin said. “We’re really putting a lot of effort into explaining how capable our high school kids are and what an important role it will play in their education if they get these opportunities.”
Andrew Mokhtarzadeh, a junior who had an intern position in the IT department at the Beverly Hills Hilton over the summer, had a positive experience.
“It was amazing,” Mokhtarzadeh said. “I learned a series of valuable skills that taught me what full potential IT positions outside of the high school can provide.”
Dubin tries to ensure that both the students and the businesses benefit from the internships.
“We only send spectacular students so that the students have a great experience and the businesses are really thrilled with the placement so that they’ll make it a continuing position for students in the future years,” Dubin said.
Openings, which can be found on the Norman Daily Bulletin, include working at local businesses, restaurants, hotels, local or state government offices, and the entertainment industry. Dubin is constantly trying to expand this list to give more students more opportunities.
“We are increasing our outreach through our Career Day efforts to really take advantage of all the businesses and speakers that spend time on our campus and not just make it a one-day thing, but make it an ongoing relationship with them,” Dubin said.
However, the opportunities Dubin and the high school provide, are not the only ones available to the students. Many can find them themselves either online, from a family member’s or friend’s connection, or from a proactive search.
“I would say that networking is the best for students,” Dubin said. “Kids just need to be proactive knowing that the only thing someone can say is no, and that it’s always worth trying.”
Mokhtarzadeh, though he found his opportunity on the daily bulletin, encourages all students to find and pursue an opportunity any way they can.
“I would 100 percent encourage other students to [pursue internship opportunities],” Mokhtarzadeh said.
Mokhtarzadeh isn’t the only student who had a great experience with the opportunity. Dubin has received lots of positive feedback from students, in the form of notes, mail, emails and in person thank yous.
“Overall they’ve found it just incredibly eye opening and in most cases it’s just really affirmed that they’ve had a passion in a certain area and they want to pursue it,” Dubin said.