Dance Company showcases its Wooden values

image1
Junior Liza Freiberg performing her “Convinced by her Confidence” on the Saltar’s stage. Photo courtesy of: Liza Freiberg

Ben Dahan staff writer
The members of Dance Company showcased their choreographed pieces based on the John Wooden Pyramid of Success on Tuesday, Feb. 21.
The dancers took to the small Salter Theater stage to present themes ranging from courage, friendship, loyalty and confidence. Each piece was taken from the hearts of the students, who choreographed and rehearsed their sets over the course of a month.
“I was excited that we were able to perform our own choreography that had our own meaning behind it,“ junior Sarina Langer said.
For junior Tamia James, who performed “Listen to me!” with junior Solomon Margo, the opportunity was an outlet that “showed the other side” of her.
With a flamboyant red dress and a ballroom blitz, junior Liza Freiberg exhibited her self-confidence loudly and proudly in her piece “Convinced by her Confidence.”
“I think that if people don’t have confidence in the way they present themselves, then their other qualities, like beauty or intelligence, are worthless,” Freiberg said. “Dancing on stage allows me to bring out my confidence in a safe environment, where I can also entertain others.”
Freiberg’s independence was contrasted by the following, eerily well done, mirror-image synchronization of twins Maddie and Lily Woodman.
Also a crowd-pleaser was the lighthearted tap-dance done by juniors Daniel Kohanbash and Kate Froemmling to an uplifting piano tune in their aptly named “We Love a Piano.”
“My piece was about hard work and how it takes hard work to achieve any goal,” Kohanbash said. “The piece means a lot to me because it took a lot of hard work for me to learn how to tap dance despite not taking any classes. I constantly watched my friends tap, wanting to do so [myself]. In the end kind of taught myself from what I had seen.”
At the end of the 45-minute long show, company adviser Chrissie Leong gave each performer a white rose as they bowed and basked in the audience’s applause.
Though for many on stage, the rose or even the praise were not the most special part of the night. The payoff was the experience itself, not anything they received after.
“I felt very energized during the performance, as performing anything gives me a rush that is unmatchable,” Kohanbash said. “It was a memorable experience.”