‘Queer Eye’ is for anyone’s eyes

WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA – FEBRUARY 07: (L-R) Jonathan Van Ness, Karamo Brown, Bobby Berk, Tan France, and Antoni Porowski attend Netflix’s Queer Eye premiere screening and after party on February 7, 2018 in West Hollywood, California. (Photo by Rich Fury/Getty Images for Netflix) *** Local Caption *** Jonathan Van Ness; Karamo Brown; Bobby Berk; Tan France; Antoni Porowski

Priscilla Hopper media manager
Queer Eye” is a Netflix reboot of the 2003 reality show, “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.” A show in which five gay men “make over” a man in categories including culture, food and wine, fashion, grooming and home decor. “Queer Eye” is a stand alone star, with concrete comedy and talent among the series’ hosts.
The 2018 series features the FabFive, including Antoni Porowski, Tan France, Karamo Brown, Bobby Berk and Jonathan Van Ness. Throughout the eight episodes, the five men travel across Georgia to host interventions to stereotypically “normal” men. Whether it includes preparing unique appetizers created for each man’s personality or understanding that all men “must” own a pair of dress shoes, the FabFive provides confidence, poise and courage to each of these dispirited men.
On top of the straight-up fabulosity of the show, “Queer Eye” provides accurate and necessary representation of the gay community. Each member of the FabFive brings his own flare; Jonathan’s sass and necessity to moisturize is absolutely irreplaceable, and Bobby’s attention to detail and ability to relate to each side of the political spectrum is incomparable. However, even from the mouth of a partially closeted gay man who happened to be an episode’s subject, the question of femininity comes into play. There will always be stereotypes of how gay men dress, sound or act. But, this production not only begins to reverse those worn-out generalities, but also teaches other men how to appreciate and accept the LGBTQ+ lifestyle. #Props.
When it first debuted, “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy” capitalized on the stereotype of upward fashion and culture advice gay men just “naturally” assumed. Now, however, the series touches themes of masculinity, stereotypes of both gay and straight men, and the liberal to conservative ideals they are forced to intertwine. By the end of each episode, if the subject is not already crying, at least one from the FabFive is (and you are no exception). The connection and intimacy between the five and each man is viral and honest.
This is an extremely binge-worthy show, so entertaining that it can be finished within one to two days (depending on your stamina). It’s easy to stay glued to the screen with its constant immersion of comedy, heartfelt compassion and transformations unlike any other “flip” show on TV. As of March 26, “Queer Eye” is officially set to film and return for a second season. The producer, David Collins, is interested in filming in his home state of Ohio and hopes to branch into Indiana and Kentucky.