Students revive school radio station

Pasha Farmanara, web co-editor-in-chief
Juniors James Fast, Robert Katz, Danny Licht and Hans Tercek are working to create a new radio station at Beverly: Radio Airlift. The station will feature student-hosted segments of music, sports talk, comedy roundtables, interviews and more with both students and well-known people in the community.
The station evolved from the Indie Music Club, a club Fast, Katz and junior Nicole Leibman created for the appreciation for modern music. The club did not serve as a strong base for the station, so the creators decided to label the station as independent from the club.
“We were planning on building on the club but we found that a lot of the people who had an interest in being a disk-jockey weren’t in the club,” Katz said.
Media Director Romeo Carey will manage the radio station during a ninth-period class named TV Tech.
Technically, Radio Airlift is not a new addition to Beverly’s media establishment. The station is a revival of a previous Beverly radio station, also called Radio Airlift, that Fast’s father was involved in when he was a student at Beverly. However, the station’s history was not the creators’ sole inspiration for Radio Airlift.
“My dad ran the radio station at Beverly back in the late ‘70s, and I wanted to revive it,” Fast said. “My friend Sam Wolk, who runs the radio station at Harvard Westlake, also motivated me to get a station up and running at [Beverly].”
The station will feature shows hosted by students such as junior Arman Zadeh and senior Omid Shamoil, who are doing a sports talk show, and junior Mehrzad Farnoosh, who will host a show about electronic music and technology. The other disk-jockeys consist of sophomores Matt Sater and Alex Legget, and juniors Matthew Shterenberg, David Bruce, Max Stahl, Michael Simozar, Jake Peskin, Adar Thau and the previously mentioned creators.
“We are going to be having a good variety of shows. A few students will have their own music shows with comments and interviews,” Katz said. “I know that a lot of those guys are getting interviews with some pretty reputable musicians.” The broadcast will be available online on Wavestreaming instead of the conventional AM/FM radio.
“We are planning on broadcasting online. It’s easier for everyone, less costly and more accessible,” Katz said.
Radio Airlift will broadcast evenings, Monday through Thursday.
The broadcasting schedule can be found on Radio Airlift’s Facebook page.