Best Brunches in LA

Braden Bochner and Juliette Deutsch, staff writers

Blue Plate Oysterette

1355 Ocean Ave. Santa Monica, CA 90402  

(310) 576-3474

Santa Monica is home Los Angeles classics such as The Ivy and Sushi Roku. Beyond the well known Third Street Promenade is the quiet but trendy Ocean Avenue, where Blue Plate Oysterette (BPO) infuses Los Angeles casual brunching with infused with New York cool. BPO serves everything from fresh oysters on the half shell, to its delicious Blue Plate Burger served with addictive Old Bay fries. Though all of the menu choices are equally mouthwatering, our favorites were the famous BPO Lobster Roll served on a toasted brioche roll and the Big Island Albacore Crudo, served with sweet roasted pineapple, fresh mango and orange ponzu. Overall we highly recommend BPO and are always more than satisfied when we leave!

BLD

7540 Beverly Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90036

(323) 930-9744

Many things come to mind when thinking of the perfect brunch: French toast, bacon and eggs, pancakes. BLD’s brunch menu is known for its unique culinary twists on American breakfast classics, such as the Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast: pillowy, soft bread filled with vanilla cream cheese and topped with graham cracker crumbs, fresh strawberries, and whipped cream. The menu has many dishes that will satisfy any sweet tooth craving, such as the Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes and the Banana Crepes served with Nutella. The menu also includes savory items such as frittatas, an array of Benedicts and egg dishes. Our favorite was the Eggs Florentine, a well-known breakfast dish is uniquely presented in a cast iron skillet. Baked eggs and steamed spinach is paired with a creamy hollandaise sauce, and served with housemade english muffins and crispy fingerling potatoes. It gets better: BLD also has it’s own doughnut shoppe with flavors such as Coconut Toffee, Key Lime and S’mores, as well as a milkshake counter, where chef Mariah Swan stirs up “ice-creamy concoctions” such as the Bourbon Pecan milkshake and the Strawberry Cheesecake milkshake. BLD’s modern American breakfast and innovative desserts make it one of the best Los Angeles brunches.

Farmshop

225 26th St. Santa Monica, CA 90049

(310) 566-2400

Farmshop, tucked away in the Brentwood Country Mart, is all about the basics. Using the farm-to-table restaurant model, Farmshop makes it simple. Its menu carefully pairs unique flavors and herbs to create a variety of seasonal and hearty dishes. Meals are served family-style and use fresh, local ingredients. The restaurant’s open and light space is very Parisian, with an incorporated country feel. Farmshop also has its own bakery which serves fresh homemade pastries, such as croissants and brioches served with seasonal touches. Our favorite was the Crown Maple Sticky Bun, baked with toasted pecans and topped with whipped creme fraiche. The fall brunch menu includes items such as the Porcini Mushroom Frittata, a combination of roasted summer squash, spiced corn and burrata cheese. In addition to breakfast items, Farmshop offers unique takes on basic sandwiches, such as the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mixed with mushrooms, currants, and toasted pumpkin seeds. Side dishes such as seasonal fresh berries, drizzled in a slightly tart avocado honey, as well as the bruleed grapefruit are delicious alternatives to typical unhealthy side-dishes. Our meal was light, refreshing, and highly satisfying. Farmshop’s culinary aesthetic proves that the simpler the dish, the better.