The Jackson Fives: Week Five Fantasy Football Advice

Pickups that would impress McKayla Maroney, as well as this week’s edition of “High Fives” and “Low Fives”

The Jackson Fives

Jackson Prince, staff writer

My sincerest apologies to Arian Foster, whom I vow never to doubt again.
    Highlighted by an overseas matchup and by Reggie Bush’s treatment of the Bears’ defense, Week Four lived up to its lofty expectations. I, along with junior fantasy footballer Sammy Yadidian, have similar sentiments regarding the upcoming array of games.

It’s Week Five in the NFL and, with the Minnesota Vikings (Adrian Peterson), Pittsburgh Steelers (Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Doug Martin and Vincent Jackson) and Washington Redskins (RG III, Pierre Garcon and Alfred Morris) all taking the week off, this isn’t going to be as simple as Robinson Cano’s method of getting stains out of his pants. But everyone faces bye-weeks, and someone has to win.

Why can’t that be you?
    Prince’s Pickups

Terrelle Pryor – I’m a huge fan of running quarterbacks, and I think Terrelle Pryor is the solution  to the problems that have haunted the Raiders’ offense in recent years. He’s reading the defense, and being conservative and aggressive in the right moments. Pryor’s learning, which is frightening to opposing defenses. With a friendly home matchup against the rival San Diego Chargers, and having rested for two weeks (Pryor didn’t play last week), the scrambler will toss a couple touchdowns and come out as the Raiders’ leading rusher in Week Five.

Week Five Projection (vs. SD): 250 pass yards, two passing TDs, INT, 65 rushing yards

Danny Woodhead – In the Chargers’ offense, the most dangerous playmaker is Danny Woodhead. He’s electric in the slot, and versatile enough to remain on the field for long periods of time. For three weeks in a row, he’s touched the ball over 10 times and finished with over 50 yards. With Malcom Floyd out for the year, Philip Rivers will look to throw check downs to Woodhead often this Sunday. If you are in a PPR league and are searching for a FLEX option, he is a no-brainer to plug into your lineup .

Week Five Projection (@ OAK): five catches (55 receiving yards), 20 rushing yards

Michael Floyd – I see a tight game between the Arizona Cardinals and Carolina Panthers this week, and I predict a big game for the Cardinal receiver. With the run game in shambles, Carson Palmer will be working hard on Sunday to put points on the board. Next to Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd has the most reliable hands on the team. He was targeted 10 times last week, reeling in five catches for 87 yards. Expect a lot of looks Floyd’s way in Week Five.

Week Five Projection (vs. CAR): five catches (80 yards), TD

Charles Clay – The two best Dolphins in Week Four were Lamar Miller (who would be a fantasy star if not for his stubborn head coach) and tight end Charles Clay. With the tight end pool shallow, Clay is a solid option this week. He has a nose for the end zone and has been used in many areas of the offense, including as a goal line back. In an offense that has Ryan Tannehill searching for a reliable target, Clay will find success.

Week Five Projection (vs BAL): six catches (50 yards), two rushing yards, rushing TD

High Fives 

Sam Bradford – This week, Sam Bradford has to prove himself. It’s his fourth year in the NFL, and he can barely be considered an “average” quarterback. Bradford’s performances have been erratic this year, despite the quick-footed weapons surrounding him (Jared Cook, Tavon Austin and Chris Givens). He has struggled mightily in the past weeks. Luckily for Bradford, the Rams face the Jacksonville Jaguars, who are simply dreadful. Look for Bradford to pick apart their defense, leading to early scores.

Week Five Projection (vs. JAX): 260 passing yards, three TDs

Ray Rice – The Ravens’ superstar was ineffective last week due to complications after his hip flexor injury. To keep things short, despite his rough start, you may confidently go with him this week. He’s your number one running back for a reason and the Ravens understand the importance of building the offense around him.

Week Five Projection (@ MIA): 70 rushing yards, TD, five catches (30 yards)

Ryan Broyles – Despite putting up a donut last week, I have hope for the route-running specialist out of Detroit. He plays the Green Bay Packers, a matchup that will produce at least six passing touchdowns. There’s been much hype around the slot receiver and, because it is highly improbable that Reggie Bush will perform as he did in Week Four, the passing game will get going in a big way. He’ll be an asset in PPR formats.

Week Five Projection (@ GB): four catches (65 yards), TD

Brandon Myers – Eli Manning is a desperate man looking for someone to receive the footballs that he throws. Enter the sure-handed tight end Brandon Myers. He, like Broyles, went without a catch in Week Four. This week, the Giants play the Philadelphia Eagles in what promises to be a vital game for Manning and the boys in blue. The Eagles pass rush isn’t dominant, meaning that Myers will have the opportunity to go out for passes. He’ll have a solid game in PPR and normal formats.

Week Five Projection (@PHI): four catches (60 yards), TD

Low Fives

Tom Brady – The veteran quarterback is in for a surprise this week, as he faces the now-elite, young Cincinnati Bengals defense. With no Gronkowski until Week Six, Brady will be looking for Kenbrell Thompkins and Julian Edelman to move the ball. The Bengals’ secondary will easily cover these lackluster options and limit Brady and the entire Patriots’ offense.

Week Five Projection (@CIN): 215 passing yards, 2 TDs, 2 INT

David Wilson – After the Giants cut backup running back Da’rell Scott, all signs pointed to a heavier workload for David Wilson. The media is pumping him up, but I just can’t buy into it. Don’t be fooled, fantasy owners. He has yet to prove himself, and has only gained 130 rushing yards through four games with no touchdowns. The Giants’ offensive line is still a mess, so don’t expect anything from David Wilson that makes him fantasy relevant.

Week Five Projection (vs. PHI): 55 rushing yards, fumble

T.Y. Hilton – Don’t expect any big time plays from the Indianapolis receiver. He’ll be seeing a lot of Brandon Browner and, after being embarrassed last week by Sir Arian Foster, the Seahawks’ defense is angry and looking for revenge. Play the matchup this week, and look for a receiver with an easier task that Hilton.

Week Five Projection (vs. SEA): three catches (45 yards)

Tony Gonzalez – This is just a hunch but, after a magnificent performance in Week Four, I think that the Falcon tight end comes back to Earth this week. The Jets have an underrated defense, and perform very well against tight ends (they give up the fourth fewest fantasy points to players in the position).  If the Falcons take the lead early, Gonzalez will not be the focal point of the offense. Plus, the dude is 37 years old, maybe he’s tired.

Week Five Projection (vs. NYJ): five catches (65 yards)

Sammy’s Saucy Selections

Pickup

Kellen Winslow – “A top tight end pickup for the week is Kellen Winslow, who’s available in 98% of ESPN leagues. This season has rewarded big, quick tight ends, who have taken advantage of mismatches. If you’re looking for solid production due to injuries or bye-weeks, Winslow will suffice,” Yadidian recommended.

High Five

Peyton Manning – “My High Five for the week is, and will continue to be, Peyton Manning. The guy has simply been unstoppable this season, on pace to throw 64 touchdowns. This week, he faces the Cowboys, who allowed 30 points to the Chargers last week and seemingly had no answer for the long ball,” Yadidian said. “Look for Peyton to continue the hot streak in what will be a shootout.”

Low Five

Chris Johnson- “In Week Five, my Low Five is undoubtedly Titan running back Chris Johnson. He only scored four points last week in standard ESPN leagues. He has not only under produced, but he is clearly not going to reach his goal of 2,000 rushing yards for the season. He also expressed his hatred of fantasy football owners on Twitter, so Chris Johnson doesn’t care about your Week Five matchup,” Yadidian said.

Week Five can reward a .500 team with a winning record or bury a 1-3 team at the bottom of the standings with another loss. If you can combine conservative tactics with bold moves in the right amounts, you may find yourself winning Week Five.