Not so krazy for Kylie

Vivian Geilim, staff writer
Sydney Tran, staff writer

Screen-Shot-2015-10-11-at-9.16.02-PM3
A student at Beverly Hills High School, Sydney Tran, scrolls through the Kylie Jenner application on Itunes, wondering if she should spend 2.99 a month on it. Photo by: Vivian Geilim

For the average American teenager, turning 18 is accompanied by many liberties. These new rights include being seen as an adult in the eyes of the law, reaching the voting age and the age of consent and—less objectively—being respected as an individual in society. Kylie Jenner, however, has held this respect for years now, and for what? Why is Kylie Jenner, a completely average 18-year-old girl when removed from her inherited fame and fortune, not treated as such?
Jenner was thrust into the world of “American royalty” as soon as her family’s hit show “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” gained popularity. Although it’s nearly impossible to imagine what she’s experienced in her 18 years, some of her actions still cannot be excused.
With arguably one of the most narcissistic apps imaginable, charging $2.99/month for photos of her getting her hair curled, Jenner capitalizes off of her “fanbase”. The main problem with this is not her exploitation of her own looks, but rather that people actually buy into it. Jenner has done close to nothing to help society; in fact, some of her actions have proven to contribute to its detriment, so why does she receive such immense praise and support throughout the media?
Kylie Jenner is not a role model. Her history of appropriating black culture by wearing fake dreadlocks, using the n-word, and allegedly using blackface offends many. However, her embracement of black culture ends there, as she does nothing with her unnecessary power to aid the cause for civil rights.
Additionally, the condoning of and poor excuses for Jenner’s completely inappropriate relationship with rapper Tyga contributes to Jenner’s wide array of wrongdoings, and understandably so. After all, she is only a teenager—unlike her creepy 25-year-old boyfriend. Furthermore, the two started seeing each other when Jenner was only a minor which sets a bad example for the thousands of young girls and boys that look up to her. However, people defend her on these issues and attempt to justify the unjustifiable.
Jenner’s relationship with Tyga, which began when she was only 17-years-old, is often excused, despite the inappropriate age difference. Although Tyga is the one to blame in this relationship due to his being older and perhaps somewhat predatory, the fact that people try to normalize this is upsetting. Many people, including her half sister Khloe, argue that “Kylie is not a normal 17-year-old”, hoping to justify the relationship. But isn’t she? What exactly sets Kylie Jenner apart from any other teen?
If she is considered old enough to appropriately date a 25-year-old, then she should be held accountable for understanding a concept as simple as racism.
Jenner seems to be anything but timid when either posing scantily-clad or showing off her new car; however, as previously mentioned, Jenner does not use her voice to benefit society. Without all of the fortune and trademark name of “Jenner” or “Kardashian”, Kylie Jenner would be completely and utterly normal.
In contrast, 18-year-old Pakistani activist, Malala Yousafzai, survived a near-fatal gunshot to the head by the Taliban as a result of drawing attention to women’s rights to education. As a result, Yousafzai is now the youngest person to have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize and continues to advocate for women through her organization The Malala Fund. Yousafzai, whose voice is stifled by a patriarchal society, still does everything in her power in order to achieve what she believes to be just, whereas Jenner, whose voice is globally-recognized with nearly no limitations, does not.
Rather than spending time and money anxiously awaiting behind-the-scene exclusives on how Kylie gets her lush lashes, try using that cash to instead contribute to something that’s making a difference in the world: may we suggest the Malala Fund?