Supporters of Armenia and Turkey protest their combating views on the events of 1915

Veronica Pahomova staff writer
Stretching from McCarthy Vista all the way past South Fairfax Avenue, thousands of protestors gathered along Wilshire Boulevard on Sunday April 24, 2016 in hopes of demonstrating each opposing country’s belief on the events that occurred on 1915. Red, blue and orange covered one portion of the streets, skies and roads, while the other sector was contrasted with red and white. Both sides celebrated their ideology and perception of the same event, with Armenians chanting in recognition of their so called “Armenian Genocide” and the Turkish declaring denials of the “Events of 1915” as a rebuttal.

Two police officers stand guard on the corner of Crescent Heights Boulevard and McCathy Vista, prepared to keep the peace between the two seemingly passionate opposing sides. The officials were chatting about the police horses along the way and the mass amount of protestors. “When I talked to some of the police at the scene, they told me that this year is experiencing one of the most intense police precautions,” photographer Harlan Tat said. “They informed me that due to the recent acts of terrorism, they had police helicopters with facial recognition systems that would be used to ensure the safety of the protestors.”

A mass of protestors in favor of remembrance and recognition of the Armenian genocide begin to form around a corner on Wilshire Boulevard. In a matter of time, speakers in protest of Armenian mitigation will take place on the stage in the far right.

Rivalry Sports Bar covers their establishment in Armenian posters, hoping to bring more recognition to their claimed genocide. Propaganda posters are hung up, comparing Talaat Pasha to Adolf Hitler and endorsing their belief that the events on 1915 were in fact a form of genocide.

Two girls walk the street of Wilshire Boulevard, demanding the support for Armenia’s justice from Turkey.

A rally of Turkish protestors boycotting the Armenian genocide proclamation begin to gather alongside Wahoo’s Fish Tacos on Wilshire Boulevard, exclaiming phrases along the lines of “America loves Turkey.”

A string of police officers block the ends of the protesting Armenians as well as the entrances to the Chase Bank in hopes of intertwining public safety with the right to petition.

PHOTO COURTESY OF HARLAN TAT.