Student response to the storm that hit California

Kate Oller
Junior Sophia Diamond and sophomore Ashley Lavi take cover from the rain.

As the month of February rolled around, a firehouse of rain took California by surprise. It has brought record-breaking levels of rain, rough winds, mudslides and flooding to the state as a whole.

Downtown Los Angeles received 7.03 inches of rain on Sunday and Monday, which makes it the third highest for any two-day period since 1877. Along with this, Beverly Hills received 7.98 inches of rain through Monday evening

Various flash flood warnings were issued and the rain continued to pour as students went to school. Many of Beverly’s students stayed home Monday, when the storm was at its worst, but most went to school. 

Students have been responding to the storm in various ways. 

“I like the rain when I dress properly, but because I didn’t, it was pretty rough during school,” junior Sienna Ashburn said.

Junior Sophia Diamond added to Ashburn’s opinion.

“The rain created a journey [coming] to school. Driving down Moreno felt like fording a river,” Diamond said. She added a different perspective, too. “The rain was a nice change from the sunshine of southern California.”  

Puddles were littered around the school, especially in the main building staircases. Many California schools faced similar issues, due to the fact that most schools in the state can be considered as out-door schools. 

The storm is supposed to die down on Thursday and although the rain created some slippery situations, it did provide California with much needed water.