Amazon Rainforest fires spur environmental activity

Photo of last Friday’s Climate Strike taken by co editor-in-chief Ava Seccuro

Leia Gluckman staff writer
In light of the fires destroying the Amazon Rainforest, many students took to social media to raise awareness of the disaster. While some do resort to social media, 82 out of the 100 students surveyed in early September by Highlights have adopted a variety of life-style changes in order to make an arguably greater impact in improving our world’s environment.
“Any student can play their part and be more environmentally conscious very easily. It’s about the little things in life, like refusing plastic straws and bags, using a reusable water bottle, minimizing their water waste, or even minimizing their use of  animal products,” sophomore Hannah Khorammi said. 
Khorrami is doing her part in improving the environment by starting the Eco Club to raise awareness about environmental issues and introduce new ways students can make a difference. 
Similarly, junior Mia De Castro Basto has started the Environmental Awareness Club.
 “I feel like people should just be more aware in general. People don’t really think about it on a daily basis,” De Castro Basto said.
As some students are making tangible changes in their lifestyles, many others have raised questions regarding the effectiveness of social media not in raising awareness, but in being part of a solution. 
“People just post about it just to post, not to actually do anything about it,” making small swaps in your day to day life can do so much more, De Castro Basto said.. 
Sophomore Alice Petot chooses to make lifestyle changes to help the environment by using a metal water bottle and avoiding straws and plastic packaging. In her view reposting isn’t “actually helping.”
Contrary to other students’ opinions, junior Steven Hoorfar views social media as a means for activism and awareness. He uses social media to  proactively organize beach cleanups. Similarly, clubs like Khorrami’s Eco Club use social media to post weekly environmental tips to encourage people to make greater lifestyle changes.
“Every bit helps, Khorrami said. “No one is asking students to all go vegan or waste-free, but even just being aware of how you are affecting the environment and decreasing your footprint can go a long way.”