Boys varsity tennis loses to Mira Costa

Rinesa Kabashi staff writer
The boys varsity tennis team lost to Mira Costa with a score of 1-17 on Wednesday, March 28. Regardless of the final score, the players believe they have improved throughout the season.
Junior Andrew Liner, who plays doubles with partner senior Jackson Stewart, thought the two are a strong team, but seeks room for improvement as an individual.
“Volleying and net game for me and Jackson went well; serving also went well for the most part. Individually, I need to be confident in myself, return better and become more consistent with everything. I’m going to put the work in to achieve my goals and to be where I want to be in tennis,” Liner said.
Liner stresses that tennis isn’t just a physical game but also a mental one.
“Tennis is like chess and boxing mixed. It’s all mental, and you must be very mentally intact and strong with yourself or partner. If you lose a point, oh well, on to the next one,” Liner said.
Senior Alan Lubinsky is using the loss to fuel motivation and come back stronger than ever for the next match.
“I’m proud of our team’s progress this season, but we need to focus during sets on our footwork and finishing easy points,” Lubinsky said.
Being a part of the team for all four years, Lubinsky feels bittersweet about leaving the team at the end of the season.
“I’ve had some pretty unbelievable memories on this team,” Lubinsky said. “A part of me is sad to go and leave it all behind, but I’m so happy to have been a part of such a rich legacy.”
Their next match will be held on April 10 at El Segundo.