Sophomores receive new, lighter laptops

Candice Anvari staff writer
After weeks with no computers, the sophomore class was given laptops last week as part of the new technology roll out plan. The redistribution prompted both positive and negative reactions among the student body as some were happy to be liable for the computer, while others were less inclined. 
According to i-4 Technology Coach Nancy Minicozzi, the only difference between the old computers and the new computers is that the new laptops are smaller and lighter than the old laptops. Other than the size, they contain the same software and possess similar capabilities. 
Minicozzi believes the laptops can open up more opportunities for a different learning experience in each classroom. 
“I really like the laptops. I know that a lot of teachers haven’t been using them, and that’s mostly because kids haven’t had computers in the classroom up until last week when we gave them out,” Minicozzi said. “I think it’s going to be a process, but I think it will lead to better education and allow kids to pursue things that they’re interested in.”  
Sophomore Jordan Poltorak prefers the new computers, but she still finds it “annoying” to have to carry it around due to its weight. 
“I think they shouldn’t make us carry all our books and a computer. If they want the computers to replace all the books in our bags, I think that’d be a very good idea so we don’t have to carry as much,” Poltorak said. 
However, sophomore Samantha Maybaum believes the computers are convenient because she can take notes on her laptop instead of carrying around her notebooks. 
Minicozzi predicts that once all the teachers become comfortable with implementing the laptops in their classrooms, students will need fewer materials on a daily basis because they will have most of their work on their computers.  
Junior Eva Levin received a laptop that had once belonged to a sophomore before they were given to the juniors this semester. Levin is dissatisfied with her laptop because she has no use for it. Most of her classes, other than English, have no use for the laptops because most of her work is on paper. 
“I think the school computer initiative is honestly not good. I have only used it twice, and it worked once,” Levin said. “I think having laptop carts was a much more efficient use of technology.” 
In Levin’s English class, attempting to use computers during class took up too much time as a result of technical complications. 
“People’s computers wouldn’t let them log in and batteries were dying left and right. The laptops became more of a time-waster than a time-saver,” Levin said.  
However, Minicozzi believes that every student is different, so whatever one student prefers may not be preferred by another student. 
As of right now, Minicozzi has not heard many complaints regarding the new technology. She hears complaints regarding the implementation of the laptops, but not the technology itself. 
“The complaint that I heard the most was that they’re not being used. The teachers weren’t asking kids to use them or they were just using them for testing,” Minicozzi said. 
Social studies teacher Peter Van Rossum believes the laptops will eventually become useful once students become acclimated to them, but as of right now he has not used them in his classroom. 
“I have not used them yet because they are still fairly new, and I think kids are still getting into the habit of bringing them every day,” Van Rossum said. 
Minicozzi hopes that with the more widespread distribution of the laptops, teachers with mixed grade level classes will not have to worry about who has the technology and who doesn’t.  
The next step of the roll out plan is to have teachers utilize the new technology with innovative learning methods to bring a new aspect of learning into their teaching.