Boys varsity soccer loses CIF game against Bishop Amat Lancers

Photo by: Mia Fienberg

Candice Anvari co-editor-in-chief

The boys varsity soccer team lost its first CIF game against the Bishop Amat Lancers on Feb. 11. The final score was 4-2, meaning the season’s team came to an end. 

Coach Rodrigo Donoso was “disappointed” because he believed the team deserved to win their first CIF game after working hard all season. 

“It was a disappointing loss as I felt the team deserved a better result. They played well and were unfortunate to have conceded in the manner in which they did,” Donoso said. 

Junior Ari Goldberg believed that the injury of his teammate, sophomore Bryson Ochman, contributed to their loss. 

“An injury to one of our best players, Bryson, really dampened our attack and took the life out of us a little,” Goldberg said. “I think we could’ve played better from start to finish.” 

Similar to Goldberg, Donoso believes the team could have performed better throughout the game. 

“They’ve played better, but even if it wasn’t their best performance, they were good enough to have won the game on a different night,” Donoso said. 

Although the team lost, Goldberg was “proud” of the energy the team still put forth. 

“Our team never got down on ourselves and never lost hope until the final whistle blew. The seniors fought their hearts out for their final game,” Goldberg said. 

Donoso also thought the team did well keeping on their “game face.” 

“They had to overcome a strong, physical team,” Donoso said. “The team kept their composure throughout the match and stayed focused on our game plan.” 

Overall, Goldberg believed the season was “successful,” even though the team did not win CIF. 

“I think we achieved a lot winning league,” Goldberg said. “Although we didn’t go as far as we would’ve liked, it was still a [great] season.”