T2D and IR: Bioethics, pharmaceutical industry corruption

You have the power to combat the corruption of Big Pharma.

When it comes to type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance, pharmaceutical companies are making billions off the drugs that Americans have been prescribed. Any time there is a new medical term coined, new medication treatments seem to follow. 

In 2001, a concern around the slight elevation of glucose levels without presenting symptoms came to the attention of the PR chief of the American Diabetes Association (ADA). Because the term “impaired glucose tolerance” didn’t ring any alarm bells, a meeting was held at the National Institute of Health and the term was changed to “prediabetes”. Now that sounds much scarier! And any time something sounds scarier, the market for correctional drugs increases drastically as consumers fear for their health and wellness. The power of rebranding is profound.

So why am I telling you this?

With this new prediabetes diagnosis came a flurry of new drugs, medical tests, and new billing codes and charges that will now be part of a patient’s medical and insurance history. But is it necessary? Research has shown that almost 70-80% of diagnosed Americans can reverse their prediabetic status with weight management, physical activity, and healthy nutrition. 

In fact, journalists have revealed significant financial conflicts of interest and substantial corruption within the ADA and its relationship with Big Pharma. 

For years, the ADA has been criticized for the large sums of money received from drug companies. It has received $18-27 million annually, including donations of $500,000-$1,000,000 per year from drug companies and firms in the diabetes and prediabetes markets

Endocrinologists pushing prediabetes drugs in their research articles are being paid millions. Lead endocrinologist Ralph DeFronzo, who wrote the guidelines for the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, was paid $1.3 million in fees for consulting, advice, and travel and received $5 million directly from diabetes drug makers. This is a serious conflict of interest. 

So, how do we stay away from Big Pharma’s corruption, unnecessary medications, insurance diagnoses, and preexisting conditions that haunt us? How do we avoid the extra tests that tell us we are borderline without having the problem itself? How do we then prevent ourselves from getting medicated (with uncomfortable side effects) for a problem we don’t yet have? 

Take control of your health! Eat whole foods, exercise, drink plenty of water, stay away from the Standard American Diet, and enjoy the great outdoors! 

Big Pharma, corrupt prescribing physicians, and other profit-driven institutions can only wield power if we remain ignorant of our own health status. Immense financial incentives can only continue if the market for these drugs is artificially increased by fear rather than necessity.

The best way to avoid being caught in this cycle of corruption is by taking charge of your health. And that begins with education and healthy lifestyle choices. Long-term habits form at a young age, so focus on your health from now – your adult self will thank you.

Remember to take a bite out of health – that will keep you medication-free for as long as possible!