Library begins ‘Blind Date With A Book’ program

Inspired by other high schools and universities, Beverly's library attempts to start a new tradition with 'Blind Date'. Photo courtesy of: KAREN BOYARSKY
Inspired by other high schools and universities, Beverly’s library attempts to start a new tradition with ‘Blind Date’. Photo courtesy of: KAREN BOYARSKY

Jackson Prince, co-editor-in-chief 
The library is celebrating the month of February with their debut of the “Blind Date With A Book” program, designed to promote reading for leisure among Beverly students.
“Blind Date With A Book is a really fun, wonderful, kind of labor-intensive way of enticing kids to read something they normally wouldn’t pick up,” head librarian Karen Boyarsky said.
Each book’s identity is hidden from the prospective reader, hence the “blind” aspect of the program.
“We’ve disguised the books completely and students have written blurbs about the books that tell you a little something about each book but don’t give them away,” Boyarsky said.
Teachers and students alike have explored the program, attempting to guess book identities, as well as checking out blind dates.
“I think students at Beverly may not have time for leisure reading, but kids are having a lot of fun with it,” she said.
In her opinion, programs like Blind Date With A Book are necessary to promote the mission of libraries across the country.
“We think books are wonderful and the heart of all learning,” Boyarsky said. “We’re always looking for ways to make reading more attractive. This is just a nice way to celebrate reading and the month of February.”
Students can check out a blind date for the remainder of the month.