BHAAA patrons athletics at Beverly

Ben Shofet, graphics editor 
Since 2006, the Beverly Hills Athletics Alumni Association(BHAAA)  has been the sole provider for all of Beverly’s athletic expenses.
According to their website, the BHAAA has donated over 550,000 dollars to the athletic programs at Beverly. From football pads to baseball uniforms, the BHAAA have covered a majority of the equipment costs that the athletic programs at Beverly have.
“They go out and make it possible for the athletic department to not only compete with other schools, but provide us with the necessary equipment that we need for the athletic department,” prior athletic director Vonzie Paysinger said.
The BHAAA have been raising funds each year for each sport that submits a request for what they need that specific year.
“Over the years they just cut back in athletics, and I’m sure as well in other departments, and it turns out that we are the sole provider. We buy all of the uniforms and equipment for every single sport needed. and as far as i know the district does not provide anything,” assistant treasurer of the BHAAA Julie Steinberg said.
Each year the BHAAA holds one major fundraiser per year to, the Alumni Hall of Fame Dinner, in which they obtain a large percentage of their donations for that year, according to Steinberg.
“Money is donated to the BHAAA and then they donate that money to the designated athletics programs at BHHS,” Steinberg said.
This year alone the BHAAA, with the help of parents and the PTSA, was able to raise enough money for a brand new $22,000 track and field electronic timing machine. The BHAAA also raised enough money for a $6,000 pitching machine. And the list goes on and on for what the BHAAA provides for the Beverly Hills athletic community.
Although the BHAAA is the main supporter of Beverly athletics, the entire Beverly community might not be as aware of where the money is coming from.
“I never really knew that the BHAAA gave us all of that equipment, I kind of always thought the district gave it to us,” sophomore wrestler David Parvizi said.
The BHAAA will continue to support the high school’s athletics through fundraising throughout the year as long as the district is not providing the athletic programs with any money.
“They [BHAAA] go out and make it possible for the athletic department to not only compete with other schools but provide us with the necessary equipment that we need for the athletic department. They are our only source of income, we don’t get anything from anyone else. Those guys are the backbone of our athletic department,” Paysinger said.