Student-run nonprofit seeks to unlock students’ unlimited artistic potential

Sadie Hersh co-editor-in-chief
Art is a form of self expression that can be produced in numerous styles of work from paintings to photographs. Junior Sofia Miller started Unlimited to bring these styles together and to give students across Los Angeles an opportunity to get involved in a professional art gala auction and give back to the community.
The goal of this organization is, “…to bring public recognition to art therapy,” as stated in the website’s mission statement. The money raised by the auctioning of students’ artwork will go to two charities: Teen Line and Free Arts.
Miller thinks that by holding a gala where people can admire and support student work, these students will feel motivated to continue creating art.
“I want to inspire people to keep making art because students feel encouraged by people in the community showing interest in their work,” Miller explained.
Miller is looking toward artists at Beverly (and all over Los Angeles) to submit artwork and help organize the gala, which will be held on March 12 at the Bonhams & Butterfields Auction Gallery from 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
“They [students] can submit art through the website, which would be the biggest way to get involved, but also if other students at Beverly would like to help me with the event, it takes a lot of work. I would be welcomed to more assistance [sic],” Miller said. “They can email the charity email at [email protected].”
Students who participate by submitting their work to the website will be rewarded by museums and colleges who are affiliated with the organization, including UCLA art school, Otis, Parsons, MOCA, HAMMER, the Wallis Annenberg, Marc Selwyn Fine Art and many more.
Out of all of the submissions, 75 pieces will be chosen to be auctioned. The artists who are chosen receive exposure in the Los Angeles art market and recognition from museums and art galleries across the city.
“This is a unique opportunity for students. If you are a serious artist, it would definitely be a great idea to submit and get involved to not only be recognized in the community, but also to help raise money for a good cause,” Miller said.
Ticket costs for the gala are free for students and $10 for adults. Tickets can be purchased for the event online at unlimited-arts.org.