Beverly receives strong WASC accreditation

Jude Binkley staff writer
In a letter to principal Mead written last Monday, Beverly received the results of this year’s WASC evaluation. The school received a six-year accreditation with a one day mid-cycle visit (a one-day visit after three years), one of the highest levels of accreditation a school can receive.
“The ACS WASC Commissioners have determined Beverly Hills High School meets the ACS WASC criteria for accreditation. This accreditation status is based on all of the information provided by the school, including the self-study report, and the satisfactory completion of the on-site accreditation visit,” commission chairperson Stephen Cathers said in his letter to Mead.
English department chair Barbra Nealis was in charge of assembling staff to write a self-report which was sent to the organization as part of the assessment.
It was a long process to produce the self study document, and I am proud that the visiting team was able to see such good in our community here,” Nealis said. “I am also so proud of the way that all staff members were involved in the process. This level of accreditation expresses the visiting team’s faith in the school community’s ability to continue to move forward and improve the manner in which we serve our students.”
The report detailed five categories that the school would be assessed on, including leadership, assessment, curriculum, instruction and school culture. The staff prepared written responses to these five areas which was then reviewed by WASC prior to their on-site visit, where WASC sat in on classroom instruction and interviewed teachers and students in order to get a better understanding of the community.
I am so grateful for all the support that was given to this process, and I am super proud of the results,” Nealis said.
This accreditation will last through June 30, 2025.