Gov. Gavin Newsom could reopen schools in July or August

Emma Newman staff writer
Gov. Gavin Newsom announced his four-step plan for reopening California on Tuesday. While California is currently on Stage 1 of the plan, with only essential businesses staying open, Stage 2, which would involve the reopening of public schools and retail businesses, could start as early as late July. 
The governor said that no date is set in stone, but that progress will come soon. 
“We believe we are weeks, not months away from making meaningful modifications,” Newsom said. 
The state will adjust based on data and graphs that are released as conditions change. Newsom thinks that while California’s conditions have improved, the state still is not “by no stretch to the imagination, out of the woods.” 
“It’s just stable,” Newsom said. “We’re not seeing substantial declines, but Californians know that we never experience the big surge that other parts of the globe, and certainly other parts of our country, had.” 
However, he does have some “cautious optimism” that conditions will improve soon, specifically in terms of education.
“We recognize that there’s been a learning loss because of this disruption,” Newsom said. “We are considering the prospect of an even earlier school year.”