Freshmen vs. seniors’ POV on first week back

r
Students come back to school and adjust to their new classes.

Freshmen’s first first week of high school and seniors’ last first week of high school is complete — however, that doesn’t mean it went effortlessly. The first week of school is always a tough adjustment period, as students go from the laziness and peace of summer to the hard work and stress of school. 

Those experiencing their first first week of high school have an especially unique transition, as they adjust to high school after coming from middle school. 

Freshman Mia Mandaloniz said, “[The worst part was] probably getting lost in the halls. For example, was the second floor of the main building the third floor of the science building?”

In addition to figuring out how to get around a new school, getting used to high school after being in middle school for a while is an anxiety-provoking adjustment. 

“I’m kind of nervous about how the work is going to be different from middle school,” Mandaloniz said. “The one-hour thirty-minute periods are kind of a little bit too long, but I think I’ll get accustomed to it quickly.”

However, a first week of school is still a first week of school, no matter what grade a student is in.

“It was kind of like how I expected, I guess; it’s kind of like middle school’s first week,” Mandaloniz said.

Fast forward three years, and seniors are on the opposite end, having experienced their last first week of high school.

“I feel like it’s not real, like it hasn’t set in yet that that’s the last first week of high school I’ll have,” senior Georgia Carlson said. “It’s honestly really sad.”

Seniors also have a unique experience during their last first week of high school, since they’re a year away from college and have a lot on their college to-do list.

“I’ve been stressed about managing my schoolwork with writing my college essays and college applications,” Carlson said.

Overall, stress levels are high during the first week of school as students adjust to new classes and teachers, get supplies and start waking up early again.

Senior Georgia Carlson said, “The lack of sleep, that’s a struggle. Waking up early.”

It is challenging to get enough sleep during the school year, compared to summertime, due to early wake-up times and long nights spent getting things done for classes. Stanford Medicine says “sleep deprivation is an epidemic” among high school students. Adjusting to earlier wake-up times can contribute to fatigue .

“It was energy-draining, walking from class to class,” Mandaloniz said.

Overall, the first week of a new year of high school is stressful, whether a student is a freshman or a senior. 

“Going into [the new school year], I was really excited but also kind of dreading the workload,” Carlson said. “The first week was really fun to see everyone, but it kind of felt surreal, like it didn’t feel like I should be back yet. It also didn’t feel like I was a senior. It felt like I was in that middle point between junior and senior year still. It was really weird, but it was fun to be back.” 

Finding time for fun things and opportunities to connect with peers can also be beneficial and alleviate stress.

“The highlight [of the first week] was probably senior sunrise,” Carlson said. “Even though that meant I was tired all week, it was really fun to wake up at 4:45 and go to a mountain.”

Following Carlson’s example and looking on the positive sides of things — for freshmen, that they have made it to high school and have four years of opportunities ahead; and for seniors, that may almost be on to college — can be really valuable during back-to-school season.