Defendant attacks Las Vegas judge, sentenced to 4 years in prison

Redden%2C+at+his+reappearance+in+court.+
AP News
Redden, at his reappearance in court.

On Wednesday, Jan. 3, defendant Deobra Redden attacked Judge Mary Kay Holthus of Clark County District Court in Las Vegas. 

Redden was about to be sentenced “on a charge of attempted battery with substantial bodily harm,” according to CNN. Redden’s lawyer, Caesar Almase, asked the judge for a sentence of probation. However, Judge Holthus said, “I think it’s time he get a taste of something else,” which prompted the attack.

US News reports that “when the judge made it clear she was going to have [Redden] locked up, he vaulted the defense table and dove over the judge’s bench, landing atop Holthus… video showed her fall back against a wall and an American flag toppling forward onto the bench.”

This attack injured Holthus, a court marshal, and her law clerk in the process. AP News reports that “one courtroom marshal was hospitalized for treatment of a bleeding gash on his forehead and a dislocated shoulder.” 

Redden returned to the courtroom on Monday, Jan. 9, since another day in court was required seeing as the prior one was interrupted by his outburst. His hands were chained, a mesh muzzle was put over his face, and he was surrounded by “at least 4 officers,” according to the New York Times, for the safety concerns of the people in the room. Judge Holthus sentenced him to four years in prison. 

His sentence was based only on a battery charge from April 2023, to which he had already pleaded guilty. Judge Holthus made it clear that another judge would handle any charges concerning his attack from the week before.

The New York Times reports that Judge Holthus stated, “For purposes of the record, I want to make it clear that I am not changing or modifying the sentence I was in the process of imposing last week before I was interrupted by [the] defendant’s actions.”

Redden now faces additional charges for attempted murder as a result of his attack, as reported by the New York Post. His felony counts in total now include:

• attempted murder against an older person
  • battery on a protected person resulting in substantial bodily harm against an older person
  • extortion
  • intimidating a public officer with threat of force
  • disregarding the safety of a person resulting in substantial bodily harm
  • battery by a probationer or parolee, 
  • unlawful act regarding fluid by a prisoner in confinement
  • battery on a protected person

(6 counts in total)

Redden’s family spoke out and reported that he has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, though he was confirmed to be competent for trial according to court records.

As of now, his next court appearance is scheduled for Valentine’s Day (Feb. 14) at 9 a.m.